Tank Dividers?

MeGustaUnaPez926

I had some questions about tank dividers, and I figured that this would be the place to ask!
1. Is the divider another solid piece of glass, or some sort of mesh?
2. Do you need a filter and heater on each side of the tank?
3. If the divider is real glass, do you still need to separately cycle each side of the tank?
4. If the divider is solid, is there enough water that moves between the two sides that you would need to quarantine one betta if its added later?
5. Do bettas actually jump over the barrier? I've read that, and I just wanted to make sure, because I don't really like having my water line really low.
Sorry about the overhaul of questions, I just thought it would be easier this way than posting a separate thread for each one. Thank you!

Shawnie

1. can be glass or mesh ..each preference depends
2. depending on the size of your tank and the size of your filters, that could be a yes and a no
3. yes you would need two if you go with glass dividers
4. solid as in glass? no water would move between them
5. YESSSSSSSSS bettas jump LOL take it from someone who has lost bettas and who have had them tore up because of jumping..they can also dig under so be careful!

heres one of my tanks I used mesh..but you got to keep a close eye on water parimeters and keep the tank prestine because if one gets sick, they all will..ive been fortunate that none have got sick

MeGustaUnaPez926

Wow that is really pretty. What size tank is that? I've never had a betta jump, I used to keep some in bowls, (I know, its awful, but I was only 5) and never had one jump. If you get a hood for the tank, they can't push past that, can they? Thanks.

Iron waffle

I use an acrylic divider, some water gets through but the flow is light.

Allie

I don't recommend divided tank with betta. Why?
Well if one gets sick so does the other. It's best to keep them alone in a 3-5g tank with heater and low filtration. Betta are fish that get sick out of the blue so it is best to take all precautions.

Butterfly

Nice tank shawnie! I haven't seen it since you bought it.
this is my divided tank It's 15g, divided with needlepoint plastic. The plastic is siliconed on both sides from bottom to top. to solve the where to put the filter question, we split the lip of the out flow so water flows into both sides. The heater is on one side right under the water flow. the water stays the same temp on both sides so I would say it has good circulation between the two sides. At the moment I am using it for an angel breeding tank. they go in for a few days, lay eggs and then go back to the bigger tank
Carol

BlueLouis

Shawnie said:
5. YESSSSSSSSS bettas jump LOL take it from someone who has lost bettas and who have had them tore up because of jumping..they can also dig under so be careful!
They can dig under? I never knew that.

Is there anyway to prevent them from digging? Just make sure you have deep enough gravel?

Shawnie

carol yours is great also!!!! I like the filter idea instead of a bunch of lil ones or moving one to each compartment...I need something like that if I'm going to decide to keep angel babies

mines a 20 long to answer the size question and yes you must have deep gravel or big marbles so that they can't dig under...

allie is right also as I said in my original answer ..you must have great betta care so they don't get sick or they all will if one does...I do reccomend it if you are willing to really be up on their water and diet etc

Butterfly

Shawnie said:
I need something like that if I'm going to decide to keep angel babies
Shawnie my last batch of angel babies went from the 10 gallon fry tank to a 30g(long) at 21 days and it has worked out ok but an intermediate tank such as the divided tank I think will be better. So what I'm going to do is use 10 gallon bare-bottom fry tank-15g(21 days) divided-30glong(45days and up) . With a smaller space they can find food easier but they need more water volume and I can keep two different sets of fry in the divided. Does that make sense?
Ok back on topic
Yes Bettas jump! The divided tank started out as a home for two beautiful female Bettas hubby had to have. They would double up and flex and over the divider they would go, even though the divider is a good 3/4 inch above the water level. They eventually jumped out of the tiny little hole in the hood and became cat/dog food I guess because I never found them. Hubby and I both were very unhappy and have decided not to use it for Bettas again.
Carol

Shawnie

yeps I totally understand!!!! and that's what I have to do if I want babies..I need a grow out ....

jump isn't even close to the word I'm looking for ..more like flying!

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom