Tank Divider Incident

Ariel4891
Finally set up the 10gal divided betta tank! I left for a few hours and came over to both of them on the same side. Theres a gap just big enough for my halfmoon to have squeezed into the other side and get beaten up by the koi betta. I seperated them again and adjusted the divider so that its more in the middle then fixed the problem. I just feel so guilty and that I should have double checked everything.

Poor halfmoon is torn up now. What should I do to make sure he heals? And how long will something like this take?

logqnty
They to relocate him in other tank until he heals. It may take weeks. Try to buy a medicine that help with scale damage.

GrayGray4231
Pic?

Ariel4891

20180402_195029.jpg
20180402_194942.jpg

Ariel4891
This is him earlier today when I first got him. As you cansee, two big chunks of fin were taken out
20180402_135312.jpg

They to relocate him in other tank until he heals. It may take weeks. Try to buy a medicine that help with scale damage.

I have an empty 5gal that I was planning on giving away, but I don't have anything cycled to put in for him. I am already using my QT for some fish already, so that isn't an option. Should I just leave him in the same tank then? I don't want to stress him out more by moving him to another tank that isn't cycled...

As far as medicine, I have paraguard, jungle fungus, kanaplex, and stressguard. Will any of those benefit him? I just poured in some IAL tannins already, so...

GrayGray4231
As long as the divider is in the tank correctly then he should be fine! You can cycle the tank then when it is done, put him in it.

I do recommend doing more frequent water changes so he has clean water to heal in, it helped my Black Moor so it should help him!

logqnty
Use your fungus’s medication if you’re Betta has white flesh and white spots on it, use your medication. You can keep him in the tank he is in now, but make sure he is safe from the other Betta.

Jenoli42
Hi... as long as the divider is in place now, i'm not sure why he'd need to move? I don't keep bettas, so I'll defer to others who do...

in terms of healing the fins, apI stress coat has aloe vera in it that helps.

Alexolotl
Actually, if it has aloe in it, avoid it. Aloe doesn’t actually do anything and can be toxic in high doses (it has been proven to be a carcinogen in animals) so it’ll bring more harm than good.
I say just keep up with water changes and stick an almond leaf in each side of the tank. Additionally, give a leaf a brief soak and then crumble it up, put it in some pantyhose, tie a rubber band over it, and stick this in your filter for optimal tannin production. I did this with my betta hazmat and the water was noticeably stained very rapidly, which is a good thing.

Ariel4891
As long as the divider is in the tank correctly then he should be fine! You can cycle the tank then when it is done, put him in it.

I definitely fixed it, so at least I don't have to worry about it happening again. I'm just so mad at myself. I got him earlier today, and he didnt even make a day wihout a mishap. My koi betta is really frickin proud of himself though...

But, if the divider is fixed, why do I still need to move him into another tank?

Actually, if it has aloe in it, avoid it. Aloe doesn’t actually do anything and can be toxic in high doses, so it’ll bring more harm than good.
I say just keep up with water changes and stick an almond leaf in each side of the tank. Additionally, give a leaf a brief soak and then crumble it up, put it in some pantyhose, tie a rubber band over it, and stick this in your filter for optimal tannin production. I did this with my betta hazmat and the water was noticeably stained very rapidly, which is a good thing.
That's a great idea! I have two leaves in the tank right now, but I think the leaves are old? I used the leaves before and they didnt seem to be releasing tannins quickly. Right now I'm presoaking it in warm water to get it to release, and then I'm treating it before pouring it in the tank.

B1GD4DDY
I definitely fixed it, so at least I don't have to worry about it happening again. I'm just so mad at myself. I got him earlier today, and he didnt even make a day wihout a mishap. My koi betta is really frickin proud of himself though...

But, if the divider is fixed, why do I still need to move him into another tank?
You shouldn't have to move him. Clean water with good parameters is going to be you best friend for his healing. Keep on top of this and I'm sure you will see him recover if he can.

Alexolotl
I’ve noticed that Indian almond leaves release tannins more slowly when whole, although having them whole isn’t bad (they’d presumably make great betta hammocks, and they grow insane amounts of biofilm, which is great for otocinclus) Crumbling them up helps to release more tannins when needed, but as I said earlier, keep them in a bag in the filter, otherwise they’ll just create a massive mess. If you have one leaf in each half of the tank and one crumbled in a bag in the filter you should be fine. Good luck with your bettas!

r5n8xaw00
How did you make your divider? I home made one and called it the redneck divider for a ten gallon tank. I cut a piece out of a plastic container lid, then drilled holes in it. I cut four pieces of pvc pipe and used a dremel tool to cut slits in the middle. I used two pvc top and bottom to hold it in place. It worked but then the 10 gallon sprung a bad leak, leaking water all over my living room. So I re-homed one of the Betta into a 5 gallon, gave it to my niece. Bought a another 10 gallon and kept the Betta I have now.

GrayGray4231
You don't have to.

Ariel4891
How did you make your divider? I home made one and called it the redneck divider for a ten gallon tank. I cut a piece out of a plastic container lid, then drilled holes in it. I cut four pieces of pvc pipe and used a dremel tool to cut slits in the middle. I used two pvc top and bottom to hold it in place. It worked but then the 10 gallon sprung a bad leak, leaking water all over my living room. So I re-homed one of the Betta into a 5 gallon, gave it to my niece. Bought a another 10 gallon and kept the Betta I have now.

I bought mine. The instructions clearly said to adjust the sides to fit the tank, but I took that to mean the height of the tank, and I didnt even check to back for any gaps. Completely my fault what happened, the divider is actually pretty great!

Jyl080208
Do you have pictures of the dividers?

Mom2some
Poor fish. We all make mistakes, don’t beat yourself up. Clean water & almond leaves (which supposedly have both antibacterial & antifungal properties should do it - and time. Pretty fish.

Top Bottom