Tank Dimensions Needed To House A Single Large Adult Angelfish?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by FishMich, Apr 20, 2018.

1. FishMich

FishMichValued MemberMember

So I’m just trying to be prepared as possible if in case this actually goes through. Keep in mind I’ve never had a cichlid/angelfish before, so I may have misconceptions.

Our next door neighbours and good friends are wanting to get out of fish keeping. They are asking if we will take their tank and fish. I’m not exactly sure of the size of their tank, it looks to be about 30ish gallons. Current occupants is one large adult angelfish, another fish that looks like an albino bristlenose pleco, and a third fish that my friend says is not doing so well and will probably not make it. She doesn’t know what it is, it looks similar to a goldfish but my hubby is convinced it’s some sort of cichlid. The way my friend is talking, I’m going to assume this third fish isn’t going to make it to if/when we take over the tank.

Anyways, I have mixed feelings about taking this tank on. One is that I don’t actually really like angelfish or albino bristlenose pleco (no offence to the people who love them! We all have different tastes). I already have an idea that the angelfish and the pleco are not really temp compatible, so I’d have to house them in different tanks, which could also be another issue.

The other thing is, this angelfish is huge! I don’t think it can really stay in the tank it’s currently in. It doesn’t have very much vertical swimming space, it’s fins are so long. I do have a 90 gallon tank that I’m currently trying to cycle. But I’m hesitant to move the angelfish in to that tank, because I think it would completely change up our stocking plan for it. We were hoping to have a peaceful community of small fish, as my son really wants to keep stocking the tank every 4-6 weeks until eternity (joke), and I really want peaceful fish because I don’t think I could handle the stress of watching my animals attack one another.

So what to do about the adult angel? I’ve heard that they can be aggressive and territorial and it’s hard to introduce tank mates when they are adults. If I put him in the 90 I couldn’t do the small fish, for fear he’ll eat them (my five year old would be devastated, we’ve been working around stocking all our tanks to avoid anything eating anything else that’s alive). We don’t really want to do bigger more aggressive fish either.

We are quickly running out of space. I have a 12 gallon in my room, my son has a 10 gallon in his room and we have the 90 gallon in our living room. So, we were thinking of moving the 12 gallon onto my son’s dresser next to the 10 gallon. Then move my friend’s tank into my bedroom. But if I have to move the angelfish and I don’t want to have a 90 gallon with just one giant angelfish due to compatibility issues, what’s good tank dimensions for a single large adult angelfish? I’d like it to be tall enough so it’ll be comfortable, I don’t think I’ll stock with other fish. The bristlenose, if it’s temp compatible with what we want for the 90 gallon can go there perhaps? My main concern is how we will house the angelfish.

Maybe I’m overthinking this. Maybe I should just say no thanks, and let her find a different home for them? I feel like I would be letting her down a bit, because I think she wants them to go to a good home, but again, I’m assuming things. Oh and we also have another 29 gallon tank sitting empty in the garage that I have no clue where we’ll put, lol. Please help!

2. varmintWell Known MemberMember

I will try to address the Angel fish situation. The only time Angels get aggressive is when they are mating. An angel on its own is a gorgeous center piece for any tank, especially 90g. I would suggest some German Blue Rams and some Sterbai cories and Cardinal tetras if they're full grown, for stocking ideas.

3. OP
    OP
    FishMich

Thanks Varmint! I like the stocking options you provided, that’s originally what we wanted in the 90. We really want a large school of cardinals. The only thing holding me back is that I searched through threads in Fishlore, and it seems like cardinals are a hit and miss match with an adult angel. Looks like a lot of people have success raising juvie angels with cardinals. But I’m worried this guy is full grown and has never been with a smaller fish like a Cardinal. We really don’t want any fish to end up as a snack even by experiment. Argh, still on the fence. My friend is looking to part with her tank this weekend. Not really sure what to do!

4. aussieJJDude

aussieJJDudeWell Known MemberMember

IMO, aggression with a single angel in a community tank is highly overrated. In a majority of the cases, cardinals are fine witg angels. If your worried, would you be open to the idea of doing a school of another type of tetra and maybe do a single school of cardinals in the 29g.

5. Susiefoo

SusiefooWell Known MemberMember

It sounds like you are tying yourself in knots trying to accommodate your neighbour when deep down, you don't really want the fish at all. Nothing wrong with that - I remember from your previous posts that your son wants to stock lots of little fish over time. The trouble is that these small fish are the natural prey for an angelfish in the wild so if it attacks and eats them it won't necessarily be particularly "aggressive" - just behaving in its normal, natural way.

I'd say sorry but you can't accommodate the fish, but perhaps offer to help her advertise them or check with local fish stores if they can take them. They really aren't your problem.

6. Fashooga

FashoogaFishlore VIPMember

Take the tank and take the two fish you don’t want and get credit at your LFS. Your neighbor doesn’t want it, you don’t want it so might as well cash it for something you want later on.

If your afraid of offending them by doing this tell them you really are not interested in angels but a LFS might help find a home to somebody that wants in and you be willing to take it to them so they don’t have to.

7. OP
    OP
    FishMich

Thanks everyone. I think @Susiefoo had it nailed on the head. I talked about our options if we kept the angel and how it would affect stocking for it, vs not taking in the angel and stocking it how he’d like with lots of little fish. My son thought about it and said he’d prefer to stock the tank the way he wants without the angel. My friend will keep her tank going until her fish pass. I might try talking to her about donating her fish to a LFS or perhaps listing the tank and fish together on the buy and sell. I can’t imagine fish keeping is bringing her much joy right now when she wants to get out of it.

8. Susiefoo

SusiefooWell Known MemberMember

I think you are making the right decision.

It is definitely worth asking if you can advertise the angel for her on local selling sites, just to see what response it gets. I had to rehome my Bolivian rams as they were being attacked by my dwarf gourami. I advertised (free to a good home, but asking people to reply with details of their tanks and photos - it was very obvious who knew about fishkeeping and who didn't) and within 24 hours had about 5 good local homes to choose from. She might be pleasantly surprised by the response and it would be a win-win situation for her and the new owner.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
  9. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

Applause. You're son is a smart guy and wise. Good decission. Don't ever let other ones stockings / decissions / failures affect your own stocking. How difficult it maybe. Well done !

10. OP
    OP
    FishMich

That’s a great idea about asking to see pictures of tanks. Maybe I’ll ask her if she wants me to put a post up in the local buy and sell. That way, I can ask questions and suss out who would be able to give a suitable home.

Thank you, it was a difficult decision for me and I think I had some anxiety overthinking things. Talking to my son really clarified to me the reason why we got into fish keeping and why we’ve been on the hunt for a larger tank. It’s all for the joy of my little man and him being able to proudly carry his little bag of fish babies home. He’s constantly wanting to bring home fish from the LFS and is always researching his stocking choices. Love him!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2018

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice