Tank design help

1. hanstatonx Initiate Member

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1406811996.630771.jpg

Recently added black background, in the process of changing gravel over to a darker colour in the next few days. Can anyone recommend placement of or ideal ornaments to purchase as well as plants.. Will be stocking a small tetra shoal over the next few weeks, currently have 1 male molly and a bottlenose pleco

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. Brokenshadows34 Member Member

Placement of decorations really doesn't matter much to the fish you said you are planning to get. Tetras and mollies don't really use caves or plants for cover, but the pleco would love a small piece of driftwood in there. As long as you like it, that's all that matters! And it looks pretty good to me.

As for plants, I assume you mean live ones? A great plant for ground cover would maybe be a couple java ferns or java moss. Red ludwigia adds a little color as well. Neither need any fertilizers, but supplements like Excel are always beneficial.

3. JessH18 Member Member

When we first started buying plants we bought an Amazon Sword and a Java Fern. So those two are always good to start with. We used Seachem root tabs for the Amazon Sword since that plant really benefits from nutrients being fed into the root system and Excel and you can get both of those from like Amazon.com or at a LFS usually. The lights were not high output either and both plants did wonderfully. As for the placement of things, we put our plants to a position where it would kind of hide our filter, just so the tank would look more natural. But really, whatever feels right to you and makes the fish happy!

4. valau Member Member

You can look up videos on youtube for inspiration. There are tons of videos showing amazing tanks and how they were set up.

5. hanstatonx Initiate Member

Thanks guys x

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum