Tank cycling

Naveen

Hi frnds... I just set up 3.5 gallon shrimp( inert substrate) tank... It's at beginning stage... 15 days old... Parameters are as follows. Ph 8.54, tds 319,amonia 0ppm,nitrite 0.25, nitrate 5.0... wen shud i add rcs shrimp....still no any sign of algea or biofilm... Wen should i expect biofilm in my tank???

Attachments

• 1628772857212..jpg
    1628772857212..jpg
    210.7 KB · Views: 20

jdhef

It seems as though your tank is not cycld yet, since you still have a nitrire reading. From what I understand, RCS are sensitive to water conditions, so I would recommend waiting until the tank fully cycles.

Ouse

Add the shrimp when ammonia and nitrite are constantly staying at 0mg/L, in which case the cycle would be complete. Before adding shrimp, wait until microfauna/biofilm is developed enough in the tank, which it will be after a few months of setup.

Algae might become more prevalent when the cycle is over and there’s excess nitrate, but with the live plants using up the algae’s nutrients, you shouldn’t expect much algae to show.

Azedenkae

Hi frnds... I just set up 3.5 gallon shrimp( inert substrate) tank... It's at beginning stage... 15 days old... Parameters are as follows. Ph 8.54, tds 319,amonia 0ppm,nitrite 0.25, nitrate 5.0... wen shud i add rcs shrimp....still no any sign of algea or biofilm... Wen should i expect biofilm in my tank???
You should not need to see biofilm or algae by the way. They can appear but does not really have much to do with the cycling process itself.

Can I ask how you have been cycling the tank? I feel like you have been mislead to how it works.

Naveen

You should not need to see biofilm or algae by the way. They can appear but does not really have much to do with the cycling process itself.

Can I ask how you have been cycling the tank? I feel like you have been mislead to how it works.
I added 6 fishes

Azedenkae

I added 6 fishes
I mean like, were you told to algae/biofilm was an indication of a cycled tank? Did you intro nitrifiers in any way? Any established biomedia? How have the ammonia and nitrite levels been throughout? Did anything spike too high that you had to do water changes, and if so, how often?

The reason I ask all this is because you may be very close to your tank being cycled for the six fish and can soon add the shrimps... or still a while away and need a bit more time. So gotta know a few more details.

Naveen

I just added my old tank water into my new shrimp tank to cycle fast... Why i need to frequently test parameters... ?? This is my fist test parameters...let the cycle complete... Later i will test after 15 days??

Ouse

Adding water from a cycled tank does nothing. When cycling, you’re building a colonies of both ammonia and nitrite eating bacteria. These aren’t free-swimming bacteria, so adding water from a cycled tank brings no beneficial bacteria with it.

Test the parameters frequently so you know when ammonia and/or nitrite spike. This is something important to know.

FishDin

Why i need to frequently test parameters... ??
Also because you want to protect the fish you have in there. You need to keep the ammonia and nittrite at very low levels during the cycling so your fish are not injured or killed. Six fish in a 3.5 gal is not a good idea IMO.

Similar Aquarium Threads

65 Gallon Tank Fishless cycling sucess
Replies
Views
Aquaricky
Replies
Views
FBI
Replies
Views
EbiAqua
Replies