Tank cycling time 5 Gallon Tank

1. ghardin Member Member

About how long will it take for a 5 gallon tank to cycle with 1 (well two for the five days i had two) glofish in it with a filter, a fake plant, and a rock. Every day i do a 20% water change (~1 gallon) and have kept the feeding down. I am eager to get more fish but i understand it is not an option until the tank is done cycling so could someone give me a rough time? Thanks a lot!:;hi1

2. Kent799 Initiate Member

How long have you had the tank running? Have you tested your tank lately? I've never cycled a 5 gallon but on average it tanks 4-6 weeks to cycle a tank.

3. jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

I'm sorry to tell you that Glofish are unsuitable for a 5 gallon tank. They are very active and need much mote space, say 20 gallons minimum.

A five gallon tank is a good size for a Betta or maybe some shrimp. Possibly you could put some Endlers, or a couple of guppy's in there but I'm not 100% that it's large enough for them.

I know this isn't the rough time you meant...sorry!

But to answer your question, cycling can take for 4-6 weeks or so. When doing a fish in cycle, it is recommended to use Prime as your water conditioner. Prime will detox the ammonia/nitrites keeping your fish safe.

4. LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

Yep, 4-6 weeks.