Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

Tank Cycling Questions Question

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by fishynoob, Apr 18, 2019.

1. fishynoobWell Known MemberMember

So been cycling my tank for a while. I did use quick start as I wanted to make sure it was cycled by the date we plan to get the fish as it's a birthday present. We plan to get them mid may. I'm just starting to see nitrates in the tank at the mo.
    First question. Will the tank stay cycled once its complete without fish. If not is there any way I can keep it cycled.
    Second question. Im using dip sticks for a general idea of condition and I have a liquid test kit if anything seems a bit odd. I thought I'd try every test I've got to get a more thorough idea of what's going on in there. I've discovered my PH is a bit low. It's around 6. How do I raise this?

Thanks in advance.

2. SomeoneFISHyValued MemberMember

I have no idea for the pH. You can phantom feed the tank, and do a longer cycle?

3. Morpheus1967Well Known MemberMember

You need to keep feeding the tank ammonia to keep it cycled. With nothing to "eat" the good bacteria will die. You should be doing this throughout the entire cycling duration. What size is the tank and what fish are you planning for the original stock list?

4. fishynoobWell Known MemberMember

Tank size is just shy of 200L.
    I have been putting fish food in too. So I'll just keep doing that
    I'm wanting cardinal tetras to start with

5. Morpheus1967Well Known MemberMember

Ok, a little harder to manage with food, but it sounds like you have a good plan.

6. Gavin TrzcinskiValued MemberMember

When I cycled my 65 gallon tank the LFS just told me to add 1/3 of a 16 oz bottle of quick start and add the fish at the same time. Everything worked out 100% fine. I added 4 serpae tetras and 4 zebra danios to start with and no casualties or problems with the fish.

7. Morpheus1967Well Known MemberMember

This is akin to doing a fish in cycle. The OP is doing a fishless cycle, which is well underway.

8. Momgoose56Well Known MemberMember

Test your water with the liquid test kit at least every other day while cycling the tank. That will keep you apprised of how and if your cycling is progressing. You can raise your pH by adding Crushed Coral (CC) to your substrate. With a pH that low, that's what I'd suggest. The standard ratio of CC to water is 1 pound of CC for every 10 gallons of water volume.