Tank cycling on schedule?

Jimz

Reaction score
I'm in the process of cycling a new 29 gallon tank. As a newbie I want things to be right before adding fish. It has been 3 weeks now. I have one goldfish in there that I've had in a smaller tank for years at my store to get things going. I added Stress Zyme on day 1, 7, and 14 as directed. I used water conditioner as well. I am using well water that tests very soft but has a high ph of approx 8. (I'm told that may come down as the tank matures?) Here are my tests as of today..... Ammonia between .5 and 1, Nitrates 0, Nitrites 0 and ph 8. I've been waiting for the ammonia to spike but is it the Stress Zyme that has been holding it down? The goldfish is going back to his original tank when cycling is finished and before any fish are added. I'm just trying to figure out when that might be. Any help for this beginner that wants to do it right is greatly appreciated!

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Not sure. Your tank appears to be cycling a little slowly. You may want to put your goldfish back in his home tank and finish the cycle out with pure clear ammonia. This would eliminate any stress on your goldie, and might speed the process up some.

Jimz

Reaction score
Thanks Gunnie for the quick reply! If I do take the goldfish (who has been happy for years with total water changes ) out and try the ammonia route do you a referance as to how much to add and how often? Thanks again.

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I've never done it, so you will probably have to add it a drop at a time a first to know how much will bring it up to 4 or 5. Once it goes down to zero for ammonia, you add enough again to bring it up to 4 or 5. You keep doing this until your ammonia and nitrites bring it back down to zero in a 24 hour period. Those who have done fishless cycling, help me out here. I'm I saying this right?

Jimz

Reaction score
Thanks again Gunnie. I've done some searching on doing the ammonia route now but will wait to see if anyone else replies to your suggestion as to whether I go ahead as I'm going or start with the ammonia cycle. Thanks a bunch again!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom