Question Tank Cycling Newbie Question

fishyparents14

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi! How long before ammonia goes down to 0-.25 after the first dose of pure ammonia? I've read here it takes several days, but how long exactly? We're a week into a fishless cycle and it looks like we've been stuck at 1ppm ammonia 4 days already. Is that normal? I'm using API Quick Start to help with the bacteria. Should I get Stability instead? We don't have Tetra Safe Start in our location. I also just started to test the Nitrites and Nitrates today (didn't think of testing it before):

25-Jul-19
Ammonia: 4

26-Jul-19
Ammonia: 4

27-Jul-19
Ammonia: 3

28-Jul-19
Ammonia: 3

29-Jul-19
Ammonia: 2

30-Jul-19
Ammonia: 1

31-Jul-19

1-Aug-19

2-Aug-19
Nitrite 0.1
Nitrate 25
Ph 7.6

jamesw6810

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
What’s your water source levels of nitrate?

Looks like it’s moving through the cycle quickly, wait for the ammonia to drop to 0.25/0.5 then redose to 2ppm and continue to measure nitrate and nitrite

When there’s 0 ammonia 0 nitrite and less than 20/40 nitrates within 12/24 hours of the dose of ammonia, consistently for 3/5 days then your cycled.

A week is nothing and there’s no exact timeframe, usually 2-8 weeks for a fully cycled tank

fishyparents14

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks for replying! It's a planted tank so maybe the nitrates come from them? And I used API Quick Start and Stress Zyme... I've read somewhere nitrates can result from using bacterial starters. Or I could also be wrong and mixed up all the sources I've been reading Ok... will wait a few more days. My son keeps asking why it's taking so long and when we can add the fish already!

jamesw6810

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
For reference I’m on 4 weeks for fishless cycle and ammonia still doesn’t reduce from 1ppm to 0 in 24 hours

It’s a patience game, keep checking the ammonia daily and when it reduces, top back up to 1-2ppm

If it’s fishless, no need for stress Zyme, just keep adding the bacteria as directed but the success rate isn’t always 100% with them, it will occur naturally anyway

Crank the temp up aswell, if you have a heater - 28-30 degrees will promote bacteria growth a little quicker

Morpheus1967

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You can definitely get high nitrate readings from the bacteria starter. But I would also wonder why your ammonia progressed from 4 down to 1 and then just stopped.

Morpheus1967

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have never used that product, so I am not sure. I know with Stability you need to dose it every day for 7 days. I would check the bottle and see what it say.

fishyparents14

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
The bottle just says:
Best for use when starting a new aquarium, after water changes and filter changes, and when adding new fish to an existing aquarium.

Add 10 ml per 10 gallons of aquarium water. For saltwater aquariums, double the dose.

fishyparents14

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ohhhhhh they added it a 2-3x a week! I added it just at the start! Maybe the bacteria died that's why I got stuck at 1ppm ammonia...Will try to add another dose tonight and will see if that will quicken things up. Thanks for the links!!

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Run the tests on your source water. It helps to know the perimeters on the water you are using in the tank.

Plants won't cause the nitrates to go up. It is just the opposite, Plants will lower them. By running the tests on your source water you will know if the nitrates you are seeing are being produced by the cycling process or if you already have them in the water you filled the tank with.

johnbirg

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Patience! Give me some right now!!!!!
It's hard to wait out the time to when you can get your fish but you will be rewarded.
You are doing fine!

fishyparents14

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thank you all so much! Learning so much from this group....A whole lot more compared to what I’ve been told by the pet store employee who said it’s perfectly fine to house 3 betta fish (all male) in an unfiltered 1 gallon tank and they won’t die if I feed them goldfish flakes

Morpheus1967

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thank you all so much! Learning so much from this group....A whole lot more compared to what I’ve been told by the pet store employee who said it’s perfectly fine to house 3 betta fish (all male) in an unfiltered 1 gallon tank and they won’t die if I feed them goldfish flakes
Well, technically, the goldfish flakes part wasn't incorrect.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom