Tank Cycling Again?

EamonT

Quick story, I did a 90% water change because the tanks gravel hadn't been cleaned in years. I added back water with conditioner, and some salt. Its a freshwater tank and I'm using the same filter(cleaned), gravel, plants, decor, and fish. My question is at what pace I should add the fish back at and If my tank will cycle again at a lethal level to the fish? I only have guppies, bristlenose plecos and snails. I've let a tester fish and snail swim around for about 24 hours and they're perfectly fine. Thanks for your time.

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
What was happening with this tank during the years the gravel was in there? If there were fish in there during all this time the cycle should be fine. We need more information before we can answer your questions.

The best way to know what is going on is to test the water. I both use and recommend the API Master freshwater test kit. It will give us the numbers both you and we need to determine what's happening in this tank.

AquaticQueen

Well Known
Welcome to the forum.
What are your water levels?
Also, why did you add salt to the tank if it is a freshwater aquarium?

OP
EamonT

EamonT

My water levels are normal so far and I added salt to keep the fish calm and get rid of anything harmful remaining in the water. During the two year period there was only a few guppies and a redtail shark in there The guppies died off after a year from age I'm assuming and the carp made it all the way through, recently sold him.

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
EamonT said:
My water levels are normal so far and during the two year period there was only a few guppies and a redtail shark in there. the guppies died off from age I'm assuming and the carp made it all the way through, recently sold him.
The tank should be cycled. Now that you have done the water change and gravel vac just slowly add stock. When you add just a few fish at a time you will be giving the bacteria time to catch up with the new bio-load. By doing it this way you shouldn't experience an ammonia or nitrite spike.

New Threads