Tank Cycling Advice

Gammawaves17

Reaction score
i have a 3 gallon Betta for about 3 weeks now. I have been using prime and stability for the four weeks and still have not had any nitrites in my tank to signal the start of the cycle.

I have done 50% water changes if ammonia goes over 1. My nitrates are usually around 10-20 but this is due to tap water having nitrates and not the tank. My ammonia is also usually around 0.5 to 1 but again this is due to ammonia in the tap water.

Any help on changes to make to either the tank or method of cycling to get some nitrite to form to let me know the cycle has started would be fantastic!

snowballPLECO

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
same problem here, 2 weeks into fish in cycle and no nitrites or nitrats and i dosed 7 days of stability to...

it seems cycling a tank isnt as easy as people claim it to be, everyone has different methods or opinions but it seemingly hard to properly cycle a tank

Jenoli42

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Gammawaves17 said:
i have a 3 gallon Betta for about 3 weeks now. I have been using prime and stability for the four weeks and still have not had any nitrites in my tank to signal the start of the cycle.

I have done 50% water changes if ammonia goes over 1. My nitrates are usually around 10-20 but this is due to tap water having nitrates and not the tank. My ammonia is also usually around 0.5 to 1 but again this is due to ammonia in the tap water.

Any help on changes to make to either the tank or method of cycling to get some nitrite to form to let me know the cycle has started would be fantastic!
Sounds like you're on the right track mate!

can you please tell us what your exact ammonia & nitrate from your tap water is?

some tanks cycle without the nitrites ever showing up in the test results.

so the key is seeing if your tank nitrates are higher than your tap nitrates & your tank ammonia lower than your tap ammonia.

you'll be cycled once your tank processes all ammonia from your tap within 12 hours (so your tests should read 0 ammonia in your tank)

GuppyDazzle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I recommend letting nature take its course. I've cycled many tanks and always did fish-in. I changed 25% of the water every other day. Ammonia would show up, then nitrites, finally nitrates. Very steady, very reliable, with no adverse affects for the fish. I used Prime for the replacement water. Time was generally about five to six weeks altogether.

I see all sorts of wacky results with bottled bacteria.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom