Help Tank Cycled - Stocking Question- Guppy's

parvataneni

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi All,

Finally the day has arrived to have my Fish safe and healthy life.Here are the reading today ...
Ammonia = 0
Nitrite = 0
Nitrate = 5

My question is :
Can i have Male Guppies in my 10g tank ?
How many can i have ?
I read somewhere that Female Guppies bread even without Male's help is that true ? if yes does Males also does the same ? reason is i don't want to have any breeding happen so.
How difficult is to have Guppies ?
what are pre-requisites for Having Guppies

Thank you all!!!

Praveen

Jrobber

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
https://www.fishlore.com/Profiles-Guppy.htm

If you house more than one male Guppy in a 10 gallon tank, you're likely to have aggression problems. I have all female Mollies in my tank and don't have any problems. As far a breeding goes, if you have males and females together, chances are you'll have fry at some point. Females can store sperm for 3-4 months, so there is a chance female Guppies can give birth after you purchase them with no males in the tank.

Nitro Junkie

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
My question is :
Can i have Male Guppies in my 10g tank ?yes
How many can i have ?1,maybe 2.Males can be agressive toward each other in a small tank
I read somewhere that Female Guppies bread even without Male's help is that true ? if yes does Males also does the same ? reason is i don't want to have any breeding happen so.I've never heard that.Pretty sure if someone has had a female give birth,it was pregnant when they bought it.
How difficult is to have Guppies ? Very easy fish to keep.The only problem with them is they are so over-bred,that finding healthy ones can be tough. Look for a club in your area for a local breeder.
what are pre-requisites for Having Guppies A cycled tank

Thank you all!!!

Praveen
Answers in red.

bass master

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I think guppies should be ok in a 10 gallon, I wouldnt keep more than one male in there however, they can get pretty nippy with each other. I would say 1 male and 2-4 females should be ok. Females can have babies in the absence of males because they will store the male's sperm for a number of months so if you female is impregnated at the pet store, there is a good chance she will give birth a number of times over the course of a few months. Males cannot reproduce in the absence of females however. If you dont want breeding you can either just keep a male on its own, but there is also a good possibility that they guppies will eat all of their fry even if you keep one male with a number of females. I personally put the female in a breeding trap to catch any fry, then over the course of a few weeks release a few of the fry at a time back into the tank to give the adult guppies a good meal. Guppies are pretty easy, here is the link to their profile: https://www.fishlore.com/Profiles-Guppy.htm.

parvataneni

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Okie so far what i understood is i can have only 1 Male ...so if i want to keep 1 Male Guppy and what other kind of fish can i have in the same tank with 1 Male GUPPY.

parvataneni

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
What if i have 5 Female Guppies ...do they live happily or a Male must be there ?

bass master

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
they will live perfectly happily without a male, in fact theyre probably happier without a male as the male would no doubt constantly be trying to mate them. But with 5 females you would probably still get a few batches of fry and also remember that males are usually the pretty colorful ones with long fins, females are kinda bland by themselves IMO but its all personal preference. A small school of 5 or so neon tetras might be ok in a ten gallon with just one guppy, or perhaps a small school of cories. Really any peaceful community fish that stays small enough to fit in a ten gallon would work, just realize that most schooling fish need groups of 5 or more which might be difficult in a 10 gallon tank.

parvataneni

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So sounds like 5 males also won't work right ? You are right Male looks colorful then female ... i initially thought i can have 5 Males in 10g tank so they wont fight each other as they are 5 of them.

Would any of you have exp of having 5 Male Guppies in 10g tank ?

Nitro Junkie

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I've kept 3 males in a 5 gallon for a little while,2 or 3 months maybe. Then moved them to a 10 gallon with some snails and RCS. Keeping all males is tricky. It may work,and may not. It is really up to the fish.

peacemaker92

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
From my experience, I had about 4 male guppies in an 8 gallon tank, they all died because they were fighting each other and I was away for the whole day at that time. So I wouldn't suggest keeping male guppies in such a small tank. Try tetras like what Nitro Junkie mentioned. You can fit a school of them in your tank. Or a betta like what a lot of our members love.

Best of luck!

parvataneni

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thank you for all your suggestions.

I will have :

Option 1# 1 Betta and some red cherry shrimps

Option 2# 1 Make Guppy and 5 Tetras

ayelie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Sorry to butt in but does this mean that you can't have 2 or 3 male guppies in a tank even if there are no female gups in the tank???

Jrobber

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
No, it just depends on the fish. With more than 1 male in a smaller tank, there could be territorial and aggression issues between males.

Prince Powder

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I wouldn't put a betta in with red cherry shrimp. RCS are very small and will quickly become lunch for a betta. RCS are best in a shrimp only tank or with very small fish such as neon tetras which don't get big enough to pose a threat. I personally prefer bettas alone although some people have successfully keep them in communities, I don't recommend it. If you want to have something else in your tank with a betta bottom dwellers are generally the safest route. Some have reported success with corys although IMO corys don't belong in a 10 gallon tank. However it will depend greatly on the individual personality of the betta as to whether or not he will tolerate anything else in his tank. You can also look into dividing the tank and keeping two bettas, one on each side of the divider. You can also divide the tank and have one betta and one dwarf puffer.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom