Tank cycled in under a Week?

Chad1123

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hi, I recently got back into the aquarium hobby, and I decided to purchase a Fluval Spec (Five gallon). I set it up on tuesday, and I put some Seachem Prime in it. On Wednesday, I also added Seachem stability and I have been adding it for the past two days now. This morning i decided to check my water readings with my API freshwater master test kit, and here is what I found:

Nitrates: 5ppm

Nitrites: 0ppm

Ammonia: 3ppm

pH: 7.7

My question is, why is this tank already almost done cycling. I have an Anubias in the tank and I dont think that would contribute that much to the tank being cycled. Any answers? Thanks

Wolf65

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Your ammonia is still way too high, but maybe you got also already bacteria making the nitrites quicker to nitrates than you checked the water.

Keep testing the water and keep your ammonia around 2-4 (fish less cycle) until you see also the nitrites.

When you have finally a 0 in ammonia and nitrites, introduce again 2ppm ammonia and check if this is gone after 24 hours.

You have than to do a water change and the tank should be cycled. I belief you are in the first quarter of the cycle

CindiL

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Hi, welcome to fishlore

What is your ammonia source? Do you have fish? Or are you using ammonia?

Why do you think you're almost cycled? With ammonia at 3.0, you're just starting out.

I would test your tap for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates and post them.

Read up on the nitrogen cycle here.

Chad1123

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Do you guys think that I should have an ammonia source? I know that they have those bottles of ammonia that you can put into your tank. Or should I get fish food and put it in there?

CindiL

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I think we need more information. How do you have ammonia at 3ppm but no fish? or liquid ammonia?

Did you test your tap water for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates?

Fish food is highly unpredictable as far as how much ammonia it will put out. It also makes a mess of your tank though you can put it into a nylon sock.

Chad1123

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I will test the tap water tonight for the nitrates, nitrites, and ammonia.

As for how I have 3ppm of Ammonia, I am not sure. I initially thought it was because of the use of prime and stability, but I figured that that could not be the cause. I don't have any fish or liquid ammonia, so I guess that it is coming from the tap water that i used to fill it up. Do you recommend a water change at all?

CindiL

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Oh ok. It must be from your water source. You must have a lot of chloramines in the water (which is why you are seeing ammonia). Once your tank is cycled it will be able to handle the ammonia within 24 hours just make sure to always dose (or double dose) prime (depending on your tap ammonia readings).

If you're going to use the tap as your ammonia source, which I don't see why not, wait for the ammonia to drop below 1.0 before doing a water change. Then do a 50% change or more to get it back up to 1.0-2.0. Make sure to dose prime to take care of the chlorine/chloramines even without fish. 3.0 is probably a little higher than you want, especially for a 5g and stability will do a better job with a little less going forward.

Chad1123

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
So I re tested my tank and I had 1 ppm of ammonia, so I went ahead and did the wanted change. When is the next time that you recommend I should do another water change and should I be expecting a nitrite rise ?

CindiL

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Do you have any nitrites yet?

Are you adding in stability every day? You can put in much more than they suggest. It won't hurt anything and may speed things up.

I would think you would start seeing nitrites this week.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom