Tank cycled in 3 days?

rkeehn547

Hello, I recently bought a new 20 gallon tank and apparently it’s cycled after only 3 and a half days. A couple of days ago when I first started the cycle, the parameters were 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and 0 nitrate. When I checked a day later, I had around 0.10 to 0.20 ppm ammonia. When I checked today, I had 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and 5ppm nitrate. It’s only been 3 days! When I started the cycle, I added a full bottle of tetra safestart and I squeezed the filter sponges from an already established tank into my new one. I knew that the cycle would be faster but not by this much. Is this even possible? I am doing a fish less cycle and I’m using an API master test kit for testing.

AggressiveAquatics

I don’t think your tank is fully cycled. You want ammonia at around 3ppm at 0.10 there’s barely anything. Add more ammonia to get it to 2-3 ppm and if it drops to 0 within 24 hours then it’s possible you are far in the cycle

rkeehn547

I don’t think your tank is fully cycled. You want ammonia at around 3ppm at 0.10 there’s barely anything. Add more ammonia to get it to 2-3 ppm and if it drops to 0 within 24 hours then it’s possible you are far in the cycle
Yeah that’s what I assumed. I don’t have any bottled ammonia so I’m using flakes to cycle. I’ll keep an eye on the parameters for the next couple of days.

Cherryshrimp420

With the Tetra Safestart and filter gunk there is probably already nitrifying bacteria. But I don't know if that is enough to handle the bioload of whatever stocking you had planned. Probably no, but then again, I have no idea what is in Tetra Safestart.

To skip over all the headaches and guessing, just do this simple thing: add some snails and see how they do for a week. If they are thriving then your tank is likely in good condition, if they are all at the water surface or climbing out or dead then your water has issues.

rkeehn547

Day 4. I just tested the aquarium and I have 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and around 7-10ppm nitrate. I will buy a bottle of dr Tim’s or fritz fishless fuel so that I can test if the ammonia gets converted. I’ll keep the forum updated

Random Great Thread!

Latest Aquarium Threads

Top Bottom