Tank cycled ??? + Food for bettas

Gwenz

I think my Q tan has finished cycling. ;D It's been cycling for 5 weeks. My water readings are :-

NitrAte - 5.0
NitrIte - 0
Ammonia - 0
PH - 7.0

Has it finished cycling?

If it has I'll be going to my lfs' on the weeked to get a betta. ;D I have 3 lfs near me, all three sell bettas. I'll be going to all three to see if they have any bettas (sometimes they don't have any). One of them, Pets At Home, has really pretty bettas with nice colours but some of their fish are ill, another one of my lfs has many bettas but it is further away and the other gets their stock in on wednesdays and they sell the bettas really fast so I'm not quite sure where to go. I think I'll check them all.

Another Question -
What do I feed bettas, how much and when?
I have Freeze dried blood worms that I feed to my other fish. Will he eat these? Should I get some small pellets to feed him? ???

Thanks for your help in advance. ;D

Gwenz
;D

Butterfly

sounds like your good to go!!! You need very tiny betta pellets. Some will eat flakes. they love blood worms but anything over a couple of times a week and they tend to get constipated. Hope that helps.
Carol

Gwenz

Thanks Carol. I can't wait now!! ;D

Gwenz

Butterfly

Me too!!!

Gwenz

I'll have to post some pictures when I get him. Probably saturday now!

Gwenz

inari

also for what they eat sometimes u just have to see what they like sometimes they will eat whatever comes their way other times they look at u like" u want me to put that in my mouth?!??!" they can be pick so just be full warned

chickadee

yes I would say you are cycled!! Good for you! Now go get yourself a fish girl!!!!

I can hardly wait to see the tank and meet your Betta. Just do what Carol says and get him some tiny Betta pellets. HikarI Betta Bio-Gold and Ocean Nutrition's Atison's Betta Pro are both the right size.

Rose

Gwenz

Ok I'll see if I can find them. I'm not sure if we have them in UK though. But I suppose it's worth a look. I might find them online somewhere.

Big day tomorrow. My mums taking me to 3 diffirent fish stores to see the bettas they all have. Can't wait!!

Two questions -
1) At what temperature should I set the tank at. I put it higher during the cycling but I've brought it down a bit. It's currently at 26 degrees C (78 degrees F). Is this temperature OK?
2) How often should I feed him Freeze Diried bloodworms and how many?

Thanks again.

Gwenz

0morrokh

The optimum temp for Bettas is 80 degrees F. I usually recommend keeping the temp at 78 if there are any other fish with the Betta.

chickadee

Zip it up one degree Celsius and keep it around 27 C or 80 F.

If your fish will eat bloodworms the meal can be fed two times a day if you wish to put them on a bloodworm diet. Each meal should be no more than 6-7 worms 6 for smaller fish 7 for a larger one. I would not try to combine the pellets and bloodworms in any one day. You can feed pellets one day and worms the next if your fish will let you. I am very afraid that the fish makes the decision what the food will be when it comes to Bettas. They may only eat pellets or only eat worms or they may love both but that would be very unusual. If you happen to get a Betta who will only eat pellets the meal is 3-4 pellets and they can have that portion two times a day. No matter what your fish does choose to eat, you should try very hard to get them used to eating a bit of pea or carrot a couple times a week. This is a treat not a meal unless you have them on a veggie fast due to constipation. If you get them used to veggies from the start, you may never have a constipation problem. Introduce the veggies to them when they are really hungry and you don't get much complaint and then after they have tried them, usually they will eat them.

Hope that this helps. Good luck and keep us informed.

Rose

Gwenz

Thanks for everything Chickadee, you've helped me a lot to get everything ready for the betta. I couldn't have done it without your help.

I was thinking I could ask what they are feeding the betta at the lfs and take it from there, but will buy some pellets as well.

Here is a picture of the Q tank. this is where he'll be until the other tank is cycled.

Gwenz

chickadee

Very pretty tank thank you for send the picture. Your betta will be fine and happy there until he can go into his permanent home. I believe he will be a lucky little buddy.

Good luck and happy Betta shopping. The happiest days are when we add more babies.

Rose

inari

idk what ur other tank is like but I think he's not gonna want to leave his tank to go home ;p

Gwenz

Thanks. I'm actualy leaving now to go to the lfs. The time has come!! ;D

Gwenz

Gwenz

I bought my Betta this morning and called him Flash ;D (why, I don't know! )

I've posted a few pics of him.

I've noticed he hasn't been moving around much yet but he might just be settling in. Hope he's OK.

Gwenz

divakeeks

What a pretty fish!!! I'm sure he will love it in his new home! Congratulations on your beautiful baby!

0morrokh

He's beautiful! Congrats on the new fish! He does kinda look like a flash.

Gwenz

Thanks everyone. I bought him because he looked pretty with a few different coulors in him.

Gwenz said:
I've noticed he hasn't been moving around much yet but he might just be settling in. Hope he's OK.
Gwenz
I said this earlier just after I'd bought him. It's been 3 nearly 4 hours now and he's still in the same spot and not moving. Is this normal? He only moves when he goes up to the surface to breath, but then comes straight back to the same spot. :'(

In my lfs the there wasn't much light (I think they turned them down because it is a hot day and the water temperatures in my lfs were really high) and only a few above the tanks. It was hard to see the fish properly but I saw Flash and all his different coulors and knew that I wanted him. The man that I talked to at the lfs (he is the boss/manager of the store)said he is one of the healthiest they have, but they have been having problems with some of the tanks. They have been treating the tanks and now they are fine.

I bought Flash and I didn't notice until I got him home that the ends of some of his fins were coulorless and that his top fin looked as if it is stuck together. :-\ My mum thinks that because he isn't swimming much and that he doesn't have any colour at the tips of some of his fins, that he might be ill or something and maybe he caught something when they had problems at the lfs. ??? What do you think? I hope he isn't ill, I haven't had him long. :'(

Gwenz

P.S. - You can maybe see what I'm talking about on his fins in this pic...

0morrokh

I would guess that the white at the end of the fins is just natural coloration. Just make sure there isn't any fraying or tears.

I would give him a day to settle in before you start to worry too much. He is not used to his new home yet so he is keeping still and hoping no one will see him...or maybe he just doesn't know what to do with so much space! (I assume he was in a cup at the store)

Gwenz

0morrokh said:
or maybe he just doesn't know what to do with so much space! (I assume he was in a cup at the store)
Actualy he was in a tank with about 20-25 tetras None of the bettas I have seen around here have been in cups. I suppose this is a good thing realy.

I was going to wait until tomorrow to see what he is like then, but my mum told me to ask here just in case.

I'll see how it goes and update you tomorrow.

Gwenz

0morrokh

Oh, good! My lfs keeps Bettas in the tanks too. THe only problem is when they put them with nippy fish...

Gwenz

Yes I agree. At my lfs today I saw a female Betta in a tank with some quite big fish (not sure what they were) and all her fins had been nipped and they were all short and frayed. I felt so sorry for her. :'(

Gwenz

0morrokh

I know. But I suppose it's better than being stuck in a tiny cup and dying of ammonia poisoning... :'(

Gwenz

Yes I suppose it is. The man at my lfs showed me this little female and told me he knew that her fins were being nipped , and all that was going through my head was...

"Well why don't you move her to another tank if you know she's not doing well in this tank".

I just wish they cared more for the fish.

Gwenz

0morrokh

Maybe he was just an employee and wasn't able/allowed to move fish around. Poor Betta. :'(

Gwenz

I thought that at first, but then my mum told me that he is the person who owns the store and has resently expanded and has another 3 stores in other places. Apparently we used to buy goldfish from this man when I was about 8 (I don't remember this), but he must be doing something right.

Gwenz

Gwenz

0morrokh said:
I would guess that the white at the end of the fins is just natural coloration.  Just make sure there isn't any fraying or tears.

I would give him a day to settle in before you start to worry too much.  He is not used to his new home yet so he is keeping still and hoping no one will see him...or maybe he just doesn't know what to do with so much space! (I assume he was in a cup at the store)
I know you said to give him a day before I start to worry, but I can't help worring. He does have some fraying in his fins. Earlier he would at least make an effort to swim near the bottom of the tank and then swim to the surface for air, but now he seems to be staying just underneath the surface and isn't making much effort to do anything. There is some water movement in the tank and he will just let the water take him round and round the top of the tank. :'( Also, he won't eat. :-\ I bought some King British Tropical Fish minI pellets and put a few in but he swam away from them. I'm worried he won't make it through the night.

If there is no improvement tomorrow should I take him back to the store? They said that if I had any problems with him within 48 hours to take him back. I really don't want to take him back, but I don't know what else to do. :'( I come so attached to Flash. Even though I've only had him 10 hours, he's already making me worried. :-\

Gwenz

0morrokh

It sounds like he may have finrot.  You shouldn't have to take him back--it's relatively easy to treat as long as you start right away...it just takes quite a while to totally heal back.  If the fraying isn't serious, and there are no other symptoms of disease, I wouldn't be too worried.  Fish all react differently to finrot.  Some will act perfectly normal even with the most severe cases of finrot, while others will go sulk and refuse to eat at the first signs of fraying.
Keeping the water clean is necesary.  Then you need to use a good medication.  I like Jungle Fungus Clear, and Melafix is supposed to be really good.  Some people use Maracyn One & Two (in combo).  However I don't know what you can get where you live.  Oh, also raise the temp to 82 F or so.  Finrot is not at all life-threatening if treated right away...just watch him carefully and make sure he does not have anything else he picked up at the store.

chickadee

He is such a Beautiful Fish. and I love the name Flash. It fits him. I wouldn't worry too much about the staying in one spot as long as it is at the top. He is probably a little lonely if he is used to other fish. I am at a total loss when it comes to the "community Betta" but I do know that when I moved Misty she is going through a "I miss everyone" stage right now even though she was being beaten up. Test your water parameters just to be sure that they haven't changed and then see if he will eat. If he is eating, he is not too sick. Get some Melafix or one of the other suggestions from Omorrokh to treat the little fin damage. Even if it isn't finrot, it needs to be treated to prevent infection. Any of the medications she mentioned will be okay, but do be sure to raise the temperature another degree Celsius. (28 C) to make sure the meds work at the best temperature. Medications need to have the carbon removed from the filter also or the medication is just taken right back out of the water by the carbon.

Do keep us informed and be proud of him. Flash is a lovely fish and he will make a great little buddy. Don't worry too much, I know you will worry but we will try to get through this together (all of us) okay?

Congratulations.

Rose

Gwenz

I stopped worrying when I saw him swimming around before I went to bed. I was planning on going to my lfs to get some Melafix to treat him.

This morning when I woke he was at the bottom of the tank. I thought he was esting until I got up to have a look. He died during the night. :'( :'( :'( I din't think he was OK when I got him, but I thought he would be OK if I treated him.

Even though I only had him a short time, I got quite attached to him. I took him back to the store and they were very sorry, and gave my money back. The girl that was there looked as if she was going to cry herself.

I will miss him. :'(

I have done a water change in the tank (about 75%). Should it be OK for me to go and get another betta soon, instead?

Gwenz :'(

0morrokh

I'm so sorry about Flash. :'( :'( At least you gave him a happy last day. There must have been something else wrong with him that you couldn't see, like an internal infection or something.

Gwenz

Maybe.

Gwenz said:
I have done a water change in the tank (about 75%). Should it be OK for me to go and get another betta soon, instead?

Gwenz :'(
It'll probably be on thursday that I might get another betta now. My lfs get their stock of fish in every wednesday, so they should have some more bettas by then. I hope that when I get another betta that he will be OK. :-\

Gwenz

chickadee

I would run some Melafix in the tank until I get another fish just in case of a possible infection if you can. It could take care of anything that might have been wrong with Flash and also will not hurt the new little fish when you get him. In fact, I do have one book that recommends the the first week you have a new fish they have Melafix used anyway. Some people disagree with me but there are so many things they pick up in the fish stores now that in this case I think it may be a good thing.

I am terribly sorry about Flash. :'( He was only a very new member to our little Betta community but he was loved just the same. We will miss him. He was truly beautiful. I hope you can get another and I know you are such a good Betta mommy I definitely do not want you to give up. :'(

Rose
:'(

Rose

Butterfly

I'm so sorry you lost your Betta, he was a beauty.
Carol

Gwenz

I might buy some Melafix then. How long should I wait before putting another betta in the tank? Or is it OK to put one in anytime? I have already done a big water change on the tank.

Thanks

Gwenz

chickadee

I would say you can put one in but keep using the Melafix for the full 7 days and then do a 25% water change and put the carbon back in the filter. I am so glad you are not giving up. You have a lot to give to a little Betta. I am so sorry for your loss of Flash. He was so Beautiful.

Rose

Gwenz

Thanks. I'll see if I can get some Melafix. Don't know when I'll be able to go to the lfs b/c I have exams and my mum says that I can revise straight after school and then do what I want later on, but, the lfs closes at 5 so I don't really have time at the moment to go. Maybe I'll have time on the weekend. I'll probably get the Melafix on saturday and then try to get another betta on Sunday.

Thanks again

Gwenz

chickadee

Sounds like a good plan. Let us know of any new arrivals.

Rose

Gwenz

I will ;D. I wish my tank had cycled a few weeks earlier b/c when I went to my lfs a few weeks back there was this beautiful betta there he was pink and white and was very active and seemed very interested in everyone in the store. He was very pretty. If my tank would have been cycled then I would have bought him (unfair!!).

This time I will watch the fish for a while before buying to make sure they are healthy and active.

Thanks

Gwenz

P.S. - Does anyone know how Melafix works?

inari

also an idea if ur tank is close to being cycled and u want to buy a certain betta get a Betta keeper. its like 2.5 gallons and no filter but u can keep a betta in it i'm doing that now waiting for my paycheck so I can go get him a real tank and filter but he is content with it as long as I pay attention to him. tho I wouldn't keep him in that forever just a thought

brent

chickadee

inarI said:
get a Betta keeper.
Brent-

Let us not be suggesting to people to put their pets in unfiltered and unheated water in this section, please. We are trying to educate people in the correct and healthy way to keep a Betta and not to fall back into the "Betta Bowl" syndrome. I do not care if it is only temporary, it is still not the thing to do. If you don't have your tank ready then that fish was just not meant to be. We cannot put our own wants and wishes ahead of what is the best for the fish. That is not what we do here. Even for a few days or a few hours at that, the betta kept in this type of situation is more prone to the cool water diseases of Ich and Fin Rot. At the least his immune system has been compromised and any addition of a chance disease around him and you are liable to have a sick fish. Just because there have been some who have been lucky, does not mean that the worst cannot and will not happen. I will not recommend such measures be taken with anyone else's fish as I would not want to be responsible even in some small way should something happen to it.

Please do not use a Betta Keeper/Bowl with your Betta.

Rose

Gwenz

I might get the chance to go tomorrow to the lfs toget another betta but I'm not sure if my mum will take me. The lfs that sell bettas near me doesn't sell Melafix and I have to go to the other lfs to get that which is about half hour away, so I might not get a chance to go to both. Do you think it would be safer for me to get Melafix first before getting a betta?

Thanks

Gwenz

chickadee

the Melafix will work whenever you get it but it would be nice if you had it in the tank before hand so that it could be working when you put the Betta in there just in case. It is a herbal remedy and not a real "medication" as such I don't think. It won't hurt to have it in the tank for anything. You add it everyday for a week and then you do a 25% water change. You cannot overdose if you use the correct amount each time. If you can I would get a real cheap set of measuring spoons like you use to measure for receipes and keep them for your fish tanks. That way when you need to measure these things you can do the correct amount. Also when you measure it be sure to pour it into a small amount of water and then into the tank, that way if your hand slips you don't have it all in the tank. (old nurses trick)

Have fun and good luck with your purchases.

Rose

Gwenz

OK, thanks Rose you've been a great help.

Gwenz

inari

chickadee said:
inarI said:
get a Betta keeper.
Brent-

Let us not be suggesting to people to put their pets in unfiltered and unheated water in this section, please.  We are trying to educate people in the correct and healthy way to keep a Betta and not to fall back into the "Betta Bowl" syndrome.  I do not care if it is only temporary, it is still not the thing to do.  If you don't have your tank ready then that fish was just not meant to be.  We cannot put our own wants and wishes ahead of what is the best for the fish.  That is not what we do here.  Even for a few days or a few hours at that, the betta kept in this type of situation is more prone to the cool water diseases of Ich and Fin Rot.  At the least his immune system has been compromised and any addition of a chance disease around him and you are liable to have a sick fish.  Just because there have been some who have been lucky, does not mean that the worst cannot and will not happen.  I will not recommend such measures be taken with anyone else's fish as I would not want to be responsible even in some small way should something happen to it.

Please do not use a Betta Keeper/Bowl with your Betta. 

Rose
alright just a thought I won't do it again

Gwenz

My mum bought the Melafix today at a fish market in Cardiff.

That's one thing less to buy with my own pocket money! ;D

Gwenz

inari

well mothers are good for that now aren't they!!

Gwenz

;D.

I took the carbon sponge out of the filter, and put some of the Melafix in. Since I took the carbon sponge out the waterflow is much stronger adn the filter is making a weird noise. Does anyone have any ideas why it is doing this?

Thanks

Gwenz

chickadee

Gwenz said:
;D.

I took the carbon sponge out of the filter, and put some of the Melafix in. Since I took the carbon sponge out the waterflow is much stronger adn the filter is making a weird noise. Does anyone have any ideas why it is doing this?

Thanks

Gwenz
The water just has less obstruction to slow down the flow. There are other media that can take the place of carbon sponge if you want to replace it or you can use the adjustment just to turn down the flow to the lowest level.

Rose

Gwenz

Could I buy another sponge (not carbon) and put it where the carbon sponge is meant to go?

Thanks

Gwenz

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom