Tank Cycled, fish added, water changed, now what?

1. dahly Member Member

I did a water change this morning, without my "Python" which should arrive in a couple of days.  I changed 25% of the tank water and added the "Aqua Plus,” as directed.  I did nothing else to the tank, but will get the gravel this weekend, once I have the proper equipment.  11 days to cycle!  I still can't believe it. The three added fish, silver tips, are doing very well, as are the 3 white skirts.  I want to get more of each, as soon as possible.  Slow and steady is the standard I should keep, but I am pulled to get up to two more of each, today.  They school somewhat, and I am told that once I get the numbers up to 5 each, that is enough for frequent schooling.  Is that your experience?  In my 29 gallon tank I eventually would like 5 white skirts, 5 silver tips, 4 panda cory's, 5 blue tetra's and 5 cardinal tetra's.  Is that too much?  How often can/should I add fish?  I would have my water checked at "Aquariums Plus," which is 5 minutes away; first, before adding more, to be sure the water chemistry is good.  Today is just 14 days since I first bought and filled the tank with water.  I just love this hobby! :)

2. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

Hi Dahly. Welcome to Fishlore! Normally, tanks take about 6 weeks to cycle. I would watch my ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates very closely since you are cycling with fish. I would not add any more fish at this time. You should also get a master test kit. My recommendation would be the one made by Aquarium Pharmaceuticals. Get the master test kit that contains the nitrate test. You can get them online for around $15.00. It's great that you have a fish store so close, but you will run into times where you will need test results fast, and the store will not be open. Plus, you want to know what the readings are, not just that they are good. Google your fish you have and the ones you want to get, and you will have all the information you need to know about them. Usually when a fish is described as a schooling fish, the recommendation is a minimum of 6 of that species. It's great you are getting into the hobby and having so much fun! Make sure you wash your gravel thoroughly before adding it to your tank, and please read read the articles about cycling and others here on fishlore! ;)

3. dahly Member Member

I will take water to be tested tonight, and pick up a testing kit (I printed off your message).  I don't understand your "wash your Gravel" remark.  Will I need to add more gravel?  I did rinse the tank gravel before putting it in the tank using a dollor store collander.  Also, how long do I need to wait before adding more fish?  They'll probably try to sell me more tonight! :D

4. dahly Member Member

Tonight it tested at .25, 0, 10, I did a water exchange this morning but the store said with adding 3 new fish Friday, the ammonia builds up until more bacteria grows to handle it. No new fish for a week or so. Slow and steady keeps them happy and healthy! :)