Tank Cycled But . . .

Discussion in 'More Saltwater Aquarium Topics' started by Jona, Apr 11, 2018.

1. JonaNew MemberMember

My tank is fully cycled and ready for fish, my PH is at 8.0 my ammonia is at 0 ppm nitrite is at 0 ppm and nitrate is at 10 to 20 ppm. However I will be going away from tank for four days this weekend, and I was worried because I remember reading in a thread that the good bacteria in my tanks needs to keep being fed. But since I am going to be gone and I don't have any fish in there i am worried the good bacteria will die off. I also have Dr. Tim's Ammonia to put in the tank by one of my family members, should I do this or am I worrying about a nonexistent problem?

2. Mary765

Mary765Well Known MemberMember

Mmm you can try throwing in some ammonia to bring it up to 2-4ppm before you leave and dose when you come back and that could keep most of the bacteria alive!

3. TexasGuppy

TexasGuppyWell Known MemberMember

You could also throw some fish food in that will slowly create ammonia. Piece of raw shrimp may be better/faster

4. Celestialgirl

CelestialgirlWell Known MemberMember

I went away for 5 days during a fishless cycle. I threw 2 full sized raw shrimp into my 37 gallon tank and when I got back, all was good! I did add them a few days before hand so they could start decomposing. If you do this, ensure you have enough shrimp for the size of your tank.

5. Mary765

Mary765Well Known MemberMember

Also a good idea. Any raw shrimp you have you can throw in there for a cheap and safe ammonia source

6. OP
    OP
    J

JonaNew MemberMember

Okay, I don’t have any raw shrimp and unfortunately I already left my home. However, I have dr Tim’s ammonia, and my family is home so I can just call them to dose the ammonia. Would that be fine? Also how much drops should I put for a 40 gallon tank?

7. TexasGuppy

TexasGuppyWell Known MemberMember

1tsp will bring a 40g to 3ppm

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice