Tank Cycled?(30 Gallon)

1. Philippians 4:13

Philippians 4:13 Well Known Member Member

My tank is a 30 gallon and has three zebra danios to assist me in my fish in cycle. Yesterday I did a water change of 25%. Today, it had 0 ammonia, 10-15 nitrates, 0 nitrites, 7.2 ph, and no chlorine. Does this mea it is cycled and I can slowly start adding new fish? How many should I add to this newly established tank at a time?

Thanks!

2. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

How long have the ammonia and nitrite been at 0?
    I would leave it until a week after the ammonia and nitrite were first at 0 so you are sure the tank is cycled then you can slowly add new fish. I would add about 3 small fish every 2 weeks.

3. OP
    OP
    Philippians 4:13

Nitrites have been at 0 for a week, but ammonia only for 2 days. Would it be okay if I waited until next weekend and got 6 more danios? I know that you said only 3; but I would like to get them in a whole school.
    Thanks!

4. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

It would appear the tank has cycled. I'm assuming you had elevated ammonia which dropped to zero, followed by elevated nitrites that dropped to zero and no nitrates in your tap water.

If would be better to add just 2 or 3 danios, then wait 10-14 day before adding the next 2 or 3. The addition of 6 danios all at once, may cause you to go into a mini-cycle, since you may not have enough bacteria to handle the ammonia all those fish would start producing. It's better to add fish slowly, allowing time between additions for the bacteria colony to grow.

5. OP
    OP
    Philippians 4:13

Thanks @jdhef!

Anyone else have any opinions?