tank cycle

1. angelfish Initiate Member

How long does this take? I can not seem to get rid of my ammonia. Tank been up and running 4 about 1 month. Doing water changes affect the cycling of the tank? Any help would be great. thank you

2. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

It sounds like your cycle is stalling for some reason. Are you cycling with fish? What is in your tank, and how often do you change water out? Are you vacuuming the gravel when you do a water change?

3. angelfish Initiate Member

Thanks for your response. I have 7 angelfish and 2 silver dollars in there. I had a 30 gal. tank with them in there for 2 years and never did I have a single problem. Then i bought a 55 gal. tank and all of the sudden my fish are not eating and 2 died. So I was told that the ammonia was the reason for them diying.So i had check the ammonia and it read 6 so i then hurried and did a 50% water change with ammo lock added to the tank.Now my ammonia level is around 1 but i'm worried that its going to rise again.Question is if i contineu to do daily water changes of 20%, will this have an effect on the cycling of the tank and how long will this continue? My ph level is around 6.8. Also is there something to remove the ammonia instead of doing water changes? Thanks a million for this help!!!

4. george Initiate Member

it wasnt the amonia it was my giant fattness that killed them JK ;D ya u should probably do a daily water chang of 20% like u said. hope that i supplied u with good info :eek: :eek: :mad: ;D :D ;) :) 8) ??? ::) :p :-[ :-X :-\ :-* :'( Why am i fat>.

George

5. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

Your daily water changes to keep the ammonia from becoming toxic will probably slow your cycle down, but it will reduce the stress on your fish. Just keep tabs on your ammonia and nitrite readings, and when they get too high, do a water change.

6. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Hang in there! Gunnie gave you very good information. My tanks take about six to eight weeks to cycle and yours has been up and running about four weeks.
    Carol