Tank cycle

Discussion in 'Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle' started by rkpate, Jul 21, 2015.

1. r

rkpate New Member Member

I have a 10g and a 5g that I have started early and didn't cycle my tanks. This was before I knew you needed too and my water is testing horrible. Is there a way to fix this? I do a 25% water change a week and the tanks are a month and a half to two months old.

2. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Do you have a test kit to check your water parameters?

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. OP
    OP
    r

rkpate New Member Member

Yes I have a master test kit from api

It tests the ammonia ph nitrite and nitrate is there anything else I need to test for?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2015
  4. Dom90

No what are your levels at right now or when you last tested?

5. OP
    OP
    r

rkpate New Member Member

The ammonia is through the rough and the ph is 6-6.4. I don't test the nitrite and nitrate much but when I do its high. I control the ammonia with api stress zyme and it helps the nitrite too that's why I don't test those. I don't have anything to help with the nitrate.

Through the roof* I mean lol

6. chrt396

chrt396 Well Known Member Member

You need to get it down to a safe level. If you haven't stressed or poisoned your fish to the point where death is imminent..then do a 75% water change in both tanks which will possibly get your ammonia levels down to HOPEFULLY a safe level. If not..wait a couple days and do another 75% water change. Once the tank gets to 1.0 ammonia or lower... Get 2 bottles of Tetra Safe Start 3.38 oz and dump one each in your 5 gallon and 10 gallon and get it to cycle. Right now..your tank is lethal and needs to be made safe.Normally, 75% is overkill..but in your tank, you need to get rid of the poison which is worse.

7. OP
    OP
    r

rkpate New Member Member

Ok anything else I need to do?

I'm currently cycling my 125g and I have two fluval aquaclears. I don't need to change any of the media's until after the cycle do i?

8. chrt396

No...but... What kind of media are you using with your AquaClears? When you say "Media"...are you referring to Bio media (ceramic rings)...or filter floss? You do not want to change out your bio media for months. The white sponge on bottom, you will want to lightly rinse in tank water AFTER the cycle is over to get the mucky gunk off. Your bacteria will remain in the ceramic media.

9. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

With a pH of 6.0-6.4 most if not all of your ammonia is actually ammonium. The good news is that ammonium is much less toxic than ammonia (some say it's non-toxic). The bad news is that ammonium is a poor food source for the bacteria.

I would stop using Stress Zyme, it really doesn't do anything.

If you want to cycle your tank using SafeStart, you are really gonna wanna get your pH to at least 7.0 to get ammonium to turn back into ammonia, so that the SafeStart bacteria doesn't starve off. But you are going to need to do some water changes first to get your ammonium/ammonia level as close to zero as possible. If you raise your pH while still having ammonium in the tank, the ammonium will change into ammonia and stress or kill your fish.

As far as raising your pH, I recommend using some crushed coral. You can put some in a media bag and either put it in your filter if there is room, or put it directly into the tank. You could also just put loose crushed coral into the tank and let it mix in with your gravel if you don't mind the look. The amount you will need to use is really a trial and error process. You'll need to add some, wait a day, test pH, add some test pH etc. Keep in mind that you want to raise your pH slowly, so don't over do it by adding too much crushed coral at any one time.

Best of luck!

10. OP
    OP
    r

rkpate New Member Member

Ok thanks I'm using the foam, carbon, and biomass which are the ceramic rings

11. chrt396

OK...do the water change...test ammonia...if readings are 1.0 to 1.5 AT MAXIMUM..then add the Tetra Safe Start. If they are still up there higher than that...wait a few hours and do another water change. The ammonia level needs to be at a manageable level for the Safe Start to work effectively.

Take the carbon and replace it with new. Leave everything else in the filter alone. Carbon loses effectiveness after aprox 3 weeks - 1 month. So in future, change your carbon once a month....or don't use it at all.

On your pH. Do me a favor. Take the test tube and rinse it out thoroughly. Put a little water in it and shake it around cleaning any residual from previous testing out of the tube. Don't shake the pH bottle..just add your drops...either three for the low range or 5 drops for the high range. Post your results.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2015
  12. OP
    OP
    r

rkpate New Member Member

Ok thank you I will later today

I did a 50 percent water change yesterday and I don't have carbon in the 10g or 5g just whisper filters

10g tank
    Ph 6.4
    Ammonia greater than 8 ppm
    Nitrite 0 ppm
    Nitrate 40ppm

5g tank
    Ph 6.6
    Ammonia greater than 8 ppm
    Nitrite 1 ppm
    Nitrate 80 ppm

What do I do? I did a 50% water change yesterday.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2015
  13. Dom90

You're gonna need to do at least 75% water changes on both tanks to get the ammonia way down, to around 1 ppm or less.

14. OP
    OP
    r

rkpate New Member Member

Ok I'll do that

I just did 75% water change on both tanks

I don't have any safe start is there anything else?

15. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

You could get Seachem Stability. You should be able to find one or both at your local LFS or pet store chain.

16. OP
    OP
    r

rkpate New Member Member

The closest pet store is 45 minutes away for me I don't think I'll be able to get out there today

17. TexasDomer

Do you have another, already cycled tank? You could add some gravel or a filter (if you have more than one on the cycled tank) to this tank to jumpstart it.

18. OP
    OP
    r

rkpate New Member Member

No I don't this api stress zyme says it jump starts it

19. TexasDomer

You could try it. It can't hurt.

20. OP
    OP
    r

rkpate New Member Member

I got some safe start at Walmart

I only got on bottle and it says go add the entire bottle up to 20g could I add 3/4 to the 10g and 1/4 to the 5g?

Or just get another bottle?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice