Help Tank Creaks

WrenFeenix

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I have a Aqueon 10 gallon aquarium. Previously, it was on the bottom shelf of a 30x12 Aqueon Forge. The shelf wasn’t quite wide enough to support the corners; about 3mm stuck off either side. After about 6 months, the tank started to make creaking noises when I drained it during water changes. To avoid a potential problem, I got another stand, and now the tank is perfectly level and well-supported on a solid pine board. However, it still creaks when I drain it. Maybe the plastic frame warped? Are the silicone seams making the noise?

The tank otherwise looks fine, but I’m concerned about potential catastrophic failure.

UnknownUser

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Get a new tank. My 10 gal made that sound for months and then one night I woke up to 9 gallons of it on the floor. Don't risk it, it's not worth it!

AngelfishDude722

Reaction score
Yeah like unknown user said the tank is probably going to break soon I would think it is the base of the tank but I might be wrong.

tuggerlake26

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Get a new tank. For ten gallons, it's not worth the worry, and there are some good steals out there right now if you're able to get out to a store.

OP
WrenFeenix

WrenFeenix

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Thanks everyone! I’ll go get one ASAP!
Thank goodness Petco is having a sale.

...Hang on... I think I already have a Top Fin 10 gal tank from the hood I’m using. I was planning on eventually using it as a terrarium, but it is a new, fully functional aquarium. Are Top Fin tanks good? I was under the impression they were cheap and fragile.

Nickguy5467

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
WrenFeenix said:
Oh sh-!!!! Thanks everyone! I’ll go get one ASAP!
Thank goodness Petco is having a sale.

...Hang on... I think I already have a Top Fin 10 gal tank from the hood I’m using. I was planning on eventually using it as a terrarium, but it is a new, fully functional aquarium. Are Top Fin tanks good? I was under the impression they were cheap and fragile.
top fin , aqueon are just two sides of the same coin. petco vs petsmart.. i think. i could be wrong on those names

OP
WrenFeenix

WrenFeenix

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Nickguy5467 said:
top fin , aqueon are just two sides of the same coin. petco vs petsmart.. i think. i could be wrong on those names
Top Fin is from Petsmart, but the tanks are made by Marineland as a low-budget brand (is what I’ve heard).
The tank I have has black silicone and looks sharp, but it has considerably less silicone on it than an Aqueon, who tends to be heavy-handed with the silicone. Compared to my Aqueon, this tank is a bit taller and narrower, with maybe slightly thinner glass.

Edit: I guess I’ll demote my Aqueon to be a terrarium.

Hmm... I think I’ll take this opportunity to switch out the white sand I have. It’s just been annoying this whole time.

OP
WrenFeenix

WrenFeenix

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I switched the tanks.
Before:
9558C791-4FB5-4EA3-BFFE-37FEB729831B.jpeg

It didn’t creak too much as I drained it, but it did a little.
After:
43573283-A4FF-4E85-9FF2-1E46D2B240D8.jpeg

The waterline looks really weird, but the tank is level. I checked with a level.

New Threads