Tank Crashing Or Root Tabs Issue? Help

Discussion in 'Cloudy Aquarium Water' started by psalm18.2, Apr 18, 2018.

1. psalm18.2

psalm18.2 Fishlore Legend Member

Having a semi emergency yesterday. Woke up to cloudy water. Hmm? Immediately changed out 1 1/2 gallons of water. Still cloudy. Checked parameters and found ammonia 0, no2 .25, no3 40. Oh no!! Did another 90% water change and tested again. No2 0, no3 10. Better. Puffer was staying up at top of tank. Removed for some time and realized the filter was off. Things seem to be ok for now. Puffer is swimming all over tank. Hope I don't loose her. Only thing I've done to tank was 1g 32oz PWC on 4-15 and added root tabs. Ah ha, was it the root tabs? I buried them deep, or so I thought.

Today came home and still cloudy. Ammonia 0, NO2 .25, NO3 10. What is going on? Did a 1g PWC, tank is 3 gallons when full. Will test again in a few hours.

Is my tank crashing or do you suspect the root tabs added on 4/15? I'm worried.

Background: Fluval Spec 3 set up 11/24/17, fully planted, weekly water changes, normal readings are always amm 0, NO2 0, NO3 <5

2. Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_b Fishlore VIP Member

Prayers for your fish. I would not think the tabs would do that. What brand are the tabs?

3. OP
    OP
    psalm18.2

Thrive root tabs, they're kind of big, but I swear I buried them deep enough. I tried taking the fish out of the tank to find them and I can't. They may have broken down already.

4. Thunder_o_b

Yeah, if they broke down that fast that may be it. Have you tried SeaChem's tabs? I add them every 2-3 months and can say for sure they dissolve very slowly.

5. OP
    OP
    psalm18.2

I'm going to throw a tab in a cup of water and see how fast it dissolves. This really sucks! I'm very worried about my fish, especially since they are so sensitive.

6. Thunder_o_b

Keep us posted please.

7. OP
    OP
    psalm18.2

So today tank looks clear.
    Ammonia 0
    NO2 0
    NO3 5
    Ph 7.6

I threw a root tab in water and overnight it completely dissolved into mush.

Think I found the culprit.
    I'll be watching the tank closely for awhile just to be safe.

8. Thunder_o_b

That is great :)

9. OP
    OP
    psalm18.2

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice