Tank Crashing, Kind Of?

1. parxs Member Member

First things first- my tank is a 29 gal, planted with gravel. I have a bunch of female "feeder" guppies, 2 male platies (two more in quarantine) 1 male swordtail, 2 danios, 1 neon tetra, 1 cory cat, and a clown pleco. (Before anyone mentions it-yes I know there is a problem with stocking since many of the fish need bigger schools, they are mostly lone survivors from me not being in town and leaving the care of the fish to others) I'm not putting in my parameters partly because I know they aren't perfect but mostly because literally- the ONLY fish affected are the guppies.
    The guppies just keep dropping like flies, I had a bit of a bacteria bloom because some dead ones were hidden in java moss. They don't really show symptoms they just die. I started treating with General Cure because some of them looked thin like they might have parasites. They all seem perfectly fine in the morning and then at night they are pretty quiet and at the surface, not gasping or anything just pretty listless. Some of the guppies have a good appetite, some don't have an appetite at all. Some of the old ones died, so have some of the youngest.
    Now this strain of guppies is horribly unhealthy. I got some from a pet store once and right off the bat a bunch died but that's to be expected with fish from a feeder tank. Then they did pretty well, most of the males at that time were fairly healthy but any since then do well until they're a month or so old and then stop eating, they chase food but spit it all out and they wither and die. A lot of the females get tumors (at least that's what I think they are) they get yellow spheres of something mostly inside, I've seen some in their peduncle, in their heads if you look at them from above, etc.

I don't want the guppies to suffer but the ones that are dying are perfectly fine one day and dead the next, the bodies even look fine except for the fact that they're dead. Since I know these guppies have always had problems and *no other fish is sick in the slightest* I don't know how hard I should try to treat this, not to mention I wouldn't even know where to start really. Should I just let nature take it's course?

2. Discusluv Well Known Member Member

What ever your numbers are... a simple fix may be to up the frequency and volume of water changes in a week. Guppy's can place a huge stress on the bio-load of beneficial bacteria in a system, and you state that you have "a bunch." It is most likely not medication you need but to pay more attention to water quality and/or to lower the bio-load that too many fish for the size tank that you have is placing on the beneficial bacteria. Additionally, I dont know what type of filtration you have, but you might try getting a better filter with more GPH and adding more biological media too this filter.

3. clk89 Fishlore VIP Member

How are there poops? Spitting out their food doesn't necessarily mean they aren't taking small bites of it. Since you won't put your parameters and don't want stocking advice though, I can't give too many suggestions. The stress of having an overstocked tank can certainly affect the guppys. You could start with a water change.

4. parxs Member Member

It's not overstocked with guppies. I said a bunch because I don't have an exact number and it's more than 4-5 or "a few." I said I didn't want stocking advice in reference to the fact that I have some fish (the neon tetra, cory cat, and danios) that should have more of their own kind, I know that but right now I'm not going to add any fish into this tank. I currently only have one male since they all die, and I know he isn't eating small bites because I've been trying to get him to eat powdered fry food and he still spits that out and never has a full belly, and he doesn't poop because he doesn't eat. The guppies used to be in a 10 gallon and they were over stocked but overall fine. If it were a problem with water quality, other fish would be effected as well, not just the guppies that are realistically, some of the most hardy fish when it comes to water quality. I have done water changes to try and fix what ever is going on and did a 50-70% about a week and a half ago, they just got a 30% but I can't fully finish for a bit since my tap water gets too hot too fast and I have to wait for it to cool down to put more in the tank.
    I just want to know if this is something I should even bother attacking since it is only one type of fish getting sick and is it worth risking all of the fish by blasting them with everything under the sun. I was thinking about trying melafix but I don't want to overload the fish or the tank with medication if it won't do any good.

5. Discusluv Well Known Member Member

Curious, if it isn't water quality why are you not posting your water parameters.

6. BeanFish Well Known Member Member

The guppys may have come with internal parasites that were being kept at bay by their inmune system. When the disease that wiped out your whole tank came it probably overloaded their inmune system and now that the parasites took over they are killing your fish.
    To be honest I am almost sure your problem was bad water quality. Established tanks dont get wiped out magically. Something suppresed your fish´s inmune system and that allowed disease to take over. That something was probably related to bad husbandry practices, bad water quality, low quality food, putting the fish trough stress etc...

It sounds as if you are dealing with internal parasites, without your water parameters and more info we cant make a very educated guess but my guess is that if you dont solve what caused the disease outbreak in the first place all your fish will eventually die. Make your water quality perfect and then use General Cure to treat for intestinal parasites. General Cure has Praziquantel which will kill worms and Metronidazole which will kill protozoas.

I dont understand why you refuse to give us all the information you can. We are not here to judge you, we have all made mistakes in the past. We are here to help. The more info we get the more helpful we can be.

7. Discusluv Well Known Member Member

Perfectly said @BeanFish

8. parxs Member Member

Curious that you respond without having read my explanation in my original post.

My water params aren't perfect (if you insist on knowing I have high nitrates) but no fish are showing symptoms, only one species is affected. Further more, it is my experience that a lot of people on forums can over react to any issue with parameters, fish can survive fluctuations in water quality and a little bit of ammonia or nitrite or too high of nitrate will not necessarily effect them in any way, if they aren't showing symptoms then they are most likely fine and it's not a nuclear threat to a tank. It'd be nice if you wouldn't assume that I don't know what I'm talking about when I say that my water is not the problem. There are no signs to show that it is. No fish are outwardly sick. No fish are constantly at the surface or on the bottom, not a single fish has clamped fins or red streaking on the fins or red gills to make me think ammonia is a problem. Some fish are at the surface so technically nitrite could be an issue except they aren't there constantly, it's not uncommon for guppies to hang out near the surface, and surprise! My fully cycled tank doesn't have any nitrite present. As for the nitrate, yes it is high but again, as I explained, it's not causing problems. The fish not eating could be nitrate but again-only one species is effected, and only one potential symptom is present, that symptom is also something that just happens with these particular fish and has happened in certain individuals for the year that I have had this strain of guppy regardless of water quality. Also, the fish that aren't eating aren't the ones that are dropping dead. None of the dead ones are curving at all or are very listless, they get a bit listless at night but nitrate doesn't harm fish during certain hours of the day. I am working on getting the nitrate down by the way but it is impossible for me to do large water changes without boiling my fish.

What wiped out my tank last time was not a disease but rather a heater getting added into the tank without getting rinsed (I believe, it was a sudden onset of fish rapidly dying, gasping for air, and not being able to swim straight right after the heater was added. Water was fine and parameters were within the most stringent of acceptable ranges)

I understand trying to help but if someone says their water is fine, don't jump to the conclusion that they're wrong just because they won't post exact numbers. When a fish isn't showing symptoms of bad water-it probably isn't bad water. The fish dying aren't showing symptoms of internal parasites either, I treated for that since some fish (still alive btw) looked like they might have parasites and I was being cautious.

As I said- the fish were out of my care for over a month. I know their husbandry wasn't great and I'm still working on getting this final tank back to where it was.

I'm highly regretting posting this at all now. I wanted to know why my fish are dying (I know what is NOT killing them) and since I am not getting any answers, I am going to stop replying and I would like a mod to lock and/or delete this entire thread, please and thank you.