Tank Cover/lid

JoKeStA

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hello everyone, so ever since I bought better lighting for my corals I have noticed that lighting looks better without my glass tops/lids. This being said I would like some fish that I know are jumpers from previous ownership (Diamond Gobys) these little burgers love to jump out. So my question is what's the best cover/lid that's going to let my light shine nice and bright ? Or is glass my best option.

Thanks,

Ryan
135 gallon
20180508_175206.jpg

20180507_193754.jpg

ljg

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
You might be able to get away with some acrylic lids. Like King of DIY on Youtube uses some acrylic lids. He just puts a little bit of weight to keep them from coming up when fish jump.

2211Nighthawk

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
ljg said:
You might be able to get away with some acrylic lids. Like King of DIY on Youtube uses some acrylic lids. He just puts a little bit of weight to keep them from coming up when fish jump.
I’ve heard acrylic will bow over time. I love my glass lids but they do get buildup on them from the filters splashing. I guess if I felt like scrubbing them down every other day they would stay clear.

OH! A mesh lid?

ljg

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
They have been said to do that sometimes, but it really depends on how thick you want the acrylic to be and if you distribute the weight equally across the lids. Oh, and mesh lids sound pretty interesting. (Not trying to be rude in any of this)

JoKeStA

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thank you guys for the reply and mesh sounds awesome so I looked into some and read a few forums and people do use a 1/4 mesh and DIY window frame so I'm going to try it here is the mesh on amazon.
Clear Mesh Netting 6' x 4'

Jayd976

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
DIY mesh screen lid for sure. I made one for my 75gal its great and all thats above that is the wooden hood. But even without a hood its good fits nice and snug.

Ulu

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would never get away with mesh! I have 10 tanks (from 2 to 55 gallons) in one room now, and if they did not all have tight lids the humidity would be unbearable!

This is what happens when a hobby fish keeper retires kids, with a little money and unlimited time to spend on fish.

Anyhow I have built many plain & fancy lids, and hoods that light up with seashells full of LEDs, and I've learned a lot over the years.
Frankly I think the Flat lid design is a total bust. over the years I've had lots of flat lids of glass and plastic.

I bought some led Aqueon Lids, which are black plastic and have a low profile rectangular Dome design. It's a terrific design except that they have to cut the "tension ring" of the Dome in order to put the filters and heaters in!

What was incredibly strong becomes flimsy instantly!

Anyhow I am determined to come up with something better in this respect, that will allow for both natural lighting and lamp illumination through the lid.

JoKeStA

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
SecretiveFish said:
We have used this kit on 2 of our tanks with no complaints:
Auqa Gadget DIY Mesh Screen Lid Kit Pro - Innovative Marine

We only have a glass lid on one of our salt tanks (hang on the back overflow so no good way to make a mesh lid), and it does diffuse the light a lot. I would love to get rid of it, but there really isn't another option for that tank.
You could use acrylic frame cut out the edge size you need x2 and sandwich them together with mesh between glueing them together that's my plan for my overflow box

SecretiveFish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
JoKeStA said:
You could use acrylic frame cut out the edge size you need x2 and sandwich them together with mesh between glueing them together that's my plan for my overflow box
Thanks for the suggestion! I have couple fish in there that are quite intent on leaving this physical realm so I have stuck with the glass lids... I am afraid I will not be able to get a snug enough fit around the overflow box and around the return plumbing. To add to that fun, the light we have on the tank uses legs that would make it nearly impossible to lift the screen lid for feedings so I am stuck with the glass lids. The tank only has easy soft and LPS coral so I am not too worried about it.

Jesterrace

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have glass tops on my 90 gallon as well. Funny you should mention that about my goby. A couple of days ago I couldn't find him and happened to glance at my corner overflow and lo and behold there he was. Don't ask me how he got in there with the tank being over 2 feet deep and virtually no clearance between the glass top and the corner overflow but he did. Thank Goodness for the tops and the long extendable handle fish net.

skilletlicker

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I took the glass lid off a couple weeks ago. Next trip to the hardware store I plan to build a "window screen" for the top of the aquarium but will be made of instead of window screen.

Culprit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I use a DIY screen, love it. Looks good, lets all the light through, and keeps fish from jumping. Super easy too, get some window screen frame from lowes or HD, and get some mesh from BRS.

Ulu

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
skilletlicker said:
I took the glass lid off a couple weeks ago. Next trip to the hardware store I plan to build a "window screen" for the top of the aquarium but will be made of instead of window screen.
I use that stuff for screening junk out of my overflow hose. I want to make a tank divider out of it.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom