Tank Controller

TLeTourneau
Has anyone used a tank controller for a freshwater tank? I've been thinking about using a Neptune Apex on my 150 when I set it up but it doesn't seem that controllers are as popular on the freshwater side of things as they are on the saltwater side. I guess I'm trying to figure out why they aren't used, or talked about, more.

Culprit
I'd say they aren't as popular because unless you have a high tech tank reefs are a lot higher maintnence, you can be running GFO, skimmer, kalk doser, ATO, CO2 scrubber, Chaeto reactor, and more. For a high tech it might be worth it if you wanted to get into auto dosing and pinpoint CO2.

stella1979
I agree with Culprit. Just to add to what he says, the Apex will run multiple lights, send you alerts if something is wrong with the many parameters that are tested in a reef tank, and Neptune even has a new system called the Trident which works only with the Apex. It auto tests and logs results for calcium, alkalinity and magnesium, common reef parameters that are not generally tested very often in FW. The Apex just seems totally geared towards reefing, but I'd imagine there are simpler and less expensive controllers on the market. Perhaps you could look into them if you're planning a high tech planted tank.

david1978
On a freshwater tank I can't see what you would gain with a controller over a few cheap timers.

TLeTourneau
On a freshwater tank I can't see what you would gain with a controller over a few cheap timers.

Thanks for the replies!

I like the data logging and notification functions, I may get one with a temp and PH probe. I can use it to control my heaters more accurately, my lights, and monitor my canister filters using its outlet load monitoring functions. I'll see how I like the one I ordered for my reef tank first.

stella1979
I'll see how I like the one I ordered for my reef tank first.
Awesome sauce! I'd love to learn more about that reef tank.

TLeTourneau
Well, I picked up an Apex Classic for my freshwater aquarium. I think it will be useful, I have everything running through it and will be adding a Neptune auto feeder and changing the lights to ones the Apex can control, probably Aquatic Life Halo FW-80's.

MrT
Yes the Neptune Systems APEX appears to be aimed at the Reef aficionados, however I love how well it works on my freshwater planted aquariums. I have found their lab grade double junction pH probes vastly more accurate (consistent) than other brands. But I especially like how the system automatically reacts to problems with your aquarium. As an example, my fish room sometimes get a little too warm and the aquarium temperatures will experience a corresponding increase. Once the aquarium or even the room temperature reaches a certain limit, my APEX will start turning off some of the lights. If the temperature continues to increase the APEX will turn on the cooling fans and eventually turn off all the lights. I will also be notified of each step the APEX takes via a email and/or text trying to fix the problem. The fish room is also upstairs and I have APEX leak detectors set up that will immediately notify me of a leak and will automatically shut down all my pumps etc that might be causing this potentially catastrophic event. So for me, the Neptune APEX system is a very useful tool for freshwater aquariums, giving peace of mind especially whilst you are away on vacation. P.S you can monitor and even alter routines etc via the cloud based Fusion interface on your smart phone or computer.

stella1979
Yes the Neptune Systems APEX appears to be aimed at the Reef aficionados, however I love how well it works on my freshwater planted aquariums. I have found their lab grade double junction pH probes vastly more accurate (consistent) than other brands. But I especially like how the system automatically reacts to problems with your aquarium. As an example, my fish room sometimes get a little too warm and the aquarium temperatures will experience a corresponding increase. Once the aquarium or even the room temperature reaches a certain limit, my APEX will start turning off some of the lights. If the temperature continues to increase the APEX will turn on the cooling fans and eventually turn off all the lights. I will also be notified of each step the APEX takes via a email and/or text trying to fix the problem. The fish room is also upstairs and I have APEX leak detectors set up that will immediately notify me of a leak and will automatically shut down all my pumps etc that might be causing this potentially catastrophic event. So for me, the Neptune APEX system is a very useful tool for freshwater aquariums, giving peace of mind especially whilst you are away on vacation. P.S you can monitor and even alter routines etc via the cloud based Fusion interface on your smart phone or computer.
And there you have it.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Ohiotank
Replies
Views
86 ssinit
  • Question
Replies
Views
SinisterCichlids