Tank Cloudy From Substrate But Fish in Temporary Bags

MaximumRide14

Hey guys, I'm trying to figure out what to do right now. Right now I'm rescaping my 20 gallon and I needed to replace the substrate. I put the fish in bags today while I drained the tank and put the substrate in. It's the Flourite Clay Gravel, and it made my water super cloudy even though I washed it. I think it needs a night overnight to settle, but I'm worried about adding my fish. I think they're okay in the bags, but I don't know if/when to add them into the tank. Do you think the cloudiness will subside soon, or should I just add them even though the tank is a little cloudy? I'm going to try to do a few more WCs tonight so it's less cloudy tomorrow morning.

Attachments

• IMG_9001.jpg
    IMG_9001.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 17

Awaken_Riceball_

As TClare stated, cloudy water will not harm your fish at all. It is no different than going into murky water in a lake. For aesthetic reasons, you can add Seachem Clarity that will clump the suspended particles together for your filter to filter out and it will noticably be much clearer next day or you can wait several weeks for it to clear up naturally. Just note that Seachem Clarity will make it even more cloudy initially.

Upvote 0

MoshJosh

Yeah cloudy water is fine. . . I ounce added that red/brown fluval clay stuff. . . and didn't wash it. . . tank was nightmare dirty. . . but the fish were fine.

I've also done a number of rescapes, sometimes with fish in the tank, and the stirred up substrate never caused any issues.

I would also say, look at nature, some fish live in crazy dirty and murky waters.

Upvote 0

MaximumRide14

The cloudy water will not hurt your fish, it is OK to put them in.
As TClare stated, cloudy water will not harm your fish at all. It is no different than going into murky water in a lake. For aesthetic reasons, you can add Seachem Clarity that will clump the suspended particles together for your filter to filter out and it will noticably be much clearer next day or you can wait several weeks for it to clear up naturally. Just note that Seachem Clarity will make it even more cloudy initially.
Phew, that's a relief! I was worried it would hurt them somehow since I haven't ever had to deal with it before. I just drained half the water and I'm in the process of replacing it. When the temp cools down in a few hours, I'll start acclimating them :)
Yeah cloudy water is fine. . . I ounce added that red/brown fluval clay stuff. . . and didn't wash it. . . tank was nightmare dirty. . . but the fish were fine.

I've also done a number of rescapes, sometimes with fish in the tank, and the stirred up substrate never caused any issues.

I would also say, look at nature, some fish live in crazy dirty and murky waters.
I'm curious, did you notice benefits for your plants with this stuff? I'm hoping I can forgo root tabs with it, and the soil I had before got sooo messy.
Thank you!

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
TClare
Replies
Views
mattgirl
  • Question
Replies
Views