tank cleaning questions

Mert16
I have some white chalky build up behind the hood and aroung the filter. There is some also on the flat divider that guards the light. Which is the best way to remove it? I don't want to use something that might hurt my fish.

Angela_96
Have you tried just using plain water and a scrub brush? If the build up isn't bad it should come off.. I know we have that sometimes and it does come off w/o any chemicals....

Evelyn1919
yeah I get that too. I use just a plain sponge that I bought from the LFS and just water and it takes it right off.

wkinne02
For stubborn deposits, use a 3:1 mix of water to white vinegar. The vinegar will dissolve the deposits, and any small amount that drips into the tank will not significantly affect the Ph of your water.

Mert16
Thanks I'll try just that. My tank is fairly new. and I'm new at fish keeping. I can use all the help I can get.

Mert16
Thanks wkinne02, I had heard that somewhere but didnt want to try it.

wkinne02
No problem. I used a stronger concentration (1:1) to clean hard water deposits from the glass when my tank was empty, and it worked like a charm. It might take a little more work with the lighter concentration, but I would be hesitant to use as much vinegar as a 1:1 mix with fish in the tank.

angelfish220
if it is really bad you can get it off with a razor blade assuming you have a glass tank. If you have an acrilic well I don't know then.

Mert16
I have a glass tank. but it is only on the top and around the tubing.

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom