Tank Cleaning Disaster? Help

1. gilbertsmom

gilbertsmom Initiate Member

I just tried to clean my betta’s 10 gallon for the first time since I got him, but everything I did didn’t work. My siphon didn’t auction anything even though I used it properly & his tank is cloudy now, which it wasn’t before. Some gunk got out of his tank, but I feel like most of it was rearranged. Please help, what do I do?

2. Jenoli42

Jenoli42 Well Known Member Member

Please describe how you're using your siphon. if your siphoning into a bucket and the level of the bucket is higher than the level of the tank, it won't work.

3. fishfanatic15

fishfanatic15 Member Member

How long have you had him?

I assume the tank has a filter so I would let it run for a bit to let it clear up the gunk that is in the water column and to let the rest settle. You can keep doing daily 50% water changes (or more if needed) to vacuum the substrate. Eventually you will get all of it, but it may take some time if it was very dirty.

4. DuaneV

DuaneV Well Known Member Member

Siphons are pretty straight forward, so you did something wrong. You need a bucket lower than your tank, hose goes into the fish tank, suck on the end real quick and point it in the bucket. BOOM! Water is coming through. Use the end in the tank to move around and pick up some waste, once the water is about to overflow your bucket pull the end in the tank out of the tank. When filling the removed water, its best done slowly and with the lid off completely. You can submerge the cup youre using to refill so the water doesnt flow out too fast OR use your hand on the surface and pour the water onto your hand so it disperses at the surface. Tanks can be a little cloudy for a few minutes after water changes, let the filter catch up.

5. Hunter1

Hunter1 Well Known Member Member

I agree with Duane except I have stands to place the bucket of fresh, dechlorinated water in and I siphon back into the tank. Most of my tanks have sand with something underneath so I have to be careful how I replace water. A bucket above the tank, siphon pointed on top of a sponge filter, lid holding siphon in place and I can transport more buckets to fill the one siphon is in, or siphon another tank. SPEED WATER CHANGES!

6. Phil4Fish

Phil4Fish Initiate Member

You won't be able to get everything out every time you do a PWC (partial water change). Just be sure to do them appropriately (routinely) and do the best you can. You can also use a little (1mL given the tank size) of API's AccuClear. It's not necessary, but I find it useful. PWCs are going to typically disperse some debris as you pour a bucket of water back into the tank.

7. Mom2some

Mom2some Well Known Member Member

My tank always looks worse before it looks better after a water change too. I often do mine at night, think “why did I bother” & by the next morning it looks much better