tank capacity

sasha

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hi ppl got a question for  you,

Most if not all tanks have what i think is called (stress bars) small pains of glass at the top of the tank inside for lifting the tank???. the ?? is how how close too these glass bits should the water come up to, my water level in the four feet tank is about 2 inches below.
The reason behind the question is for dosing water conditioners etc, :-\

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The instructions that came from the manufacturer of my tanks said to fill the tank to the lower level of the two. This is for looks more than anything I think. The dosage on the dechlorinators is not terribly critical unless you are using one which contains aloe as it does not evaporate out. Butterfly reminded me in a post not long ago that aloe will bubble and foam like dish soap if you get too much of it in the tank and have an active filter or air pump running. It doesn't hurt the fish but can give the fishkeeper heartfailure ;D.

I would say that a great deal depends on the top of the tank. Do you have it covered? Most fish will jump given the opportunity. If you have an open tank, you will want to keep the water level down to a couple inches below the edge of the tank, if it is covered, you can come up to within 3/4 inch of the top, I would say. At least that is about where mine is.

Rose

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I think what you're talking about is the TRIM of the tank, am I correct? The tank has top and bottom trims, and when you lift the tank, you should NEVER lift it by the upper trim. Always lift the tank from its underside, by its bottom trim.

Now, I don't really know how much the tank should be filled, but I fill my 30 gallon tank to the point where the top trim begins. The top trim in my 30 gallon tank is about 1.5 - 2", so that's how much space is left before the water can reach the very top of the tank. I may well be filling my tank with too much water!

sasha

Valued Member
Reaction score
Thanx ppl,  ill maybe top my 4ft upto the bottom of the glass trim as it looks as if it needs a top up as there is still an inch or so above the glass bits to the very top of tank. i thought that bits were for lifting it but never done it that way as i thought it would break lol .

thanks for that ...sasha

jinx_beta

Valued Member
Reaction score
Just my opinion...

I fill my tank up to the black lining/edge/whateveryouwannacallit, and it looks alot better then if I fill it below. It makes it look like the water is flowing through, and not ending suddenly

Kristyn

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom