Tank busted in the middle of the night!

ericlacross

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
So I got up this morning, and as I walked by my fish tanks I stepped into a HUGE puddle in my carpet, my heart dropped! My 29g Convict tank w/ brand new babies had cracked right across the front and emptied out onto the floor!
With only about 1 1/2 inches of water left in the tank, both the adult convicts and all the babies were STILL ALIVE! Thank goodness I have another tank all setup to put fry in, so I quickly moved them and they seem to be doing ok. But I have a Rainbow Shark in that tank that is not so excited about this, I know this isn't a good setup but hopefully it will only be for a few hours until I can get another tank that is in my garage up and running.

I have no idea what could have happend? Has this ever happend to anyone else on here? The tank has been up and running for well over a month, with no signs of any cracks or leaks until now.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It's fishkeeping roulette, except theres like 100 chambers instead of 6.

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Wow! I'm glad that you're so calm and had other equipment you could use. I've personally never experienced anything like that, thank God. I'd be a basket case, I'm sure.

You say you've had the tank set up a month. Where was the tank prior to that? On what type of surface?

Aquagirl1978

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Did your heater possibly come in contact with your glass? They talked me into acrylic tanks for that reason, had me so afraid of a cracked tank I paid the extra $$$$.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello Ericlacross,

I hate that you had to experience your tank cracking. I've been very fortunate over the years. I agree that it's always a risk we take in this hobby.

I hope you have access to a wet vac to suck up some of the water from your carpet. They can be rented if you don't own one.

Whew! Yeah for the tank in the garage.
Best wishes for your fish!

KEn

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Wow, that's crazy..
Bad luck, or maybe there was a slight tilt, creating pressure points that cracked.

FredBjammin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
That is crazy! Glad you have more then 1 tank. If you get a chance post a pic of your tank.

I got a used tank for free once that I attempted to seal up. The preveous owner had the glass split at the corner, his thoery was that the floor was uneven. But have never heard of anything like what happened to you. Maybe a the heater had a short and it was touching the glass when it happened?

ericlacross

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
LyndaB: Calm? You have to be kidding! I was freaking out for a minute, until I noticed all the fish were ok. I have had such a great time watching these guys with their babies! The tank was just sitting in the basement prior, bought it used on craigslist about a year ago.

AquaGirl1978: No it wasn't the heater, it was the very front of the tank.

aquarist48: Thankfully I just borrowed a carpet cleaner on Monday to shampoo the carpets, that seemed to do a pretty good job.

Mosin360: Here's some pics, before and after! (The before pic, shows the Rainbow Shark which was removed shortly after the picture)

Attachments

steveredlakefallsmn

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
i had somthing simular happen to me,i woke up to water on the floor,only to find out a seal on the bottom of my tank gave out,ran to walmart and bought another,all the water didnt leak out but half of it did wow! what a mess that was,turned my wife off too fish tanks,now she just doesnt trust them any more,she will get used to it again i hope!

ericlacross

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Yeah, it is the craziest thing I have ever seen, I have no clue on how it happened. Only thing I can think of, is the crack goes from the very bottom left corner up to the top middle, maybe there was a tiny crack under the plastic on the corner and that decided to spread all of a sudden? I know it was ok at 2am and no one was in the house, even my dog was locked in a different room for the night, and at 7am when I got up this is what I found.

Well the tank in the garage was too small to fit on the stand (its open in the middle) so I ran to the store to get another tank. Its all set up, just waiting for the water to get to the right temp. I have no clue how long the it went without water so I changed the filter media with my 55 gallon tank (I have 2 of the same filters on that tank, plus 2 sponge filters) so hopefully I can have them moved in a few hours.

The convicts have already killed all of my ghost shrimp that were in there, and the Rainbow Shark is as far up the side corner as he can get!

firemouthfreak

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Maybe they were planning to escape just like Nemo did

In all seriousness, I'm glad you had an extra tank! Now I think I should buy a 10 gallon and get it cycled just in case..

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Man, that was a Buddha with a grudge in that tank...... :;bb

When I asked you where you had the tank previously, I meant, was it sitting on cement floor, or on an uneven table, something that might have caused a stress point?

mosin360

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Wow, that is a crack. I'm curious... again. Is that a aquarium or an actual terrarium? Does it have a label on the bottom that says one or the other? Reason why I ask is that the glass on my tanks are so think, I don't see how they could crack like that unless something hard hit it.

ericlacross

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
firemouthfreak: Yeah, I will always have an extra tank up and running now! It was there as a quarantine / fry tank. And it had the Rainbow Shark in there just because he wasn't working out with the convicts.

LyndaB: Oh I see, it was on a concrete floor since I have had it, not sure about before that?

mosin360: I dont see a label, so I can't say for sure. But the glass is just as thick as my 55g is and it seems the same weight and everything as the one I just picked up so I would assume that it was an aquarium? But one never knows I guess. I didn't realize that they made seperate terrarium tanks, but it would make sense that they could be thinner.

SFwriter

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If I had to guess, I'd say you probably had a small crack at the bottom of the front pane, maybe even under the silicone. The water pressure probably helped it to grow slowly until it got big enough to give way all at once. My guess is that the crack started at the bottom and propagated to the top. Did you buy the tank used?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom