Tank Breakdown with Plant Dip

1. poeticinjustices Well Known Member Member

Hello all.

I'm sad to say that I think it's time for a total break down of my betta tank. I have exhausted absolutely every avenue offered to me by my research and you all here (thank you)- clean water, time, salt, good diet, medications. All parameters, nitrates included, are kept at 0ppm. Temp and pH - well, it's all in my profile. It just won't quit.

I've grown desperate to see this fish live, heartbroken over watching his fins get infected repeatedly, and am ready to breakdown the tank. How do I do that with a living resident? Because his water needs to be kept warm, I cannot really leave the tank overnight to dry. Can I? I guess I could get him a 10g tub and run the heater in that with him? It's Cobalt 50W (up to 14g).

I'm thinking bleach will work fine for the tank and components, and he'll be getting a totally new filter anyway, and the only thing bleach does not kill is columnaris, right? Which is unlikely to be the problem here.

I also need to know about bleach dips - how to do them and if the plants I have can handle it. In his tank is water wisteria, bacopa, subwassertang, hornwort and a marimo moss ball. The only one not easily replaceable is the subwassertang.

Thank you for your time.

2. hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

I'm afraid I have no advice for you here, only good wishes! V is such a lucky fish to have a mummy like you. I would get the tub and put his filter and heater in whilst you are sorting everything out, at least that way you can take your time and won't be rushing to get him back into his house. I feel we both have similar personalities, we worry too much, and anything you can do whereby you can take your time and trust he will be okay is the best thing to do. Your mind will need some rest in between work, school, V, the old goldies and the new goldies!xx

3. poeticinjustices Well Known Member Member

Thanks hollie1505. I think I might be losing him. He does not seem himself today. He is just hanging in the plants which he usually does on fasting day, sulking, but he looks to be breathing pretty fast and his fins do not look good. They don't have the reddish brown discoloration but there is more damage and it appears to be spreading.

As his water quality is perfect, I do not know what else to do for him. I'm not going to stress him out with another WC and I've turned his light off as it buzzes a little sometimes but other than that I don't know what else to do for him other than to keep him comfortable and hope he pulls through. I think maybe he has just had enough.

This is such an awful, powerless feeling.

4. Jim Well Known Member Member

Sorry to say, but have you ever thought that he might have had severe issues that could have altered his immune system at birth. Just keep him comfy which I know you are doing well. Sorry to say that I have had two people in my life that just asked "to be let go"; "I've had enough, I've gone through too much, it is time to say goodbye".

5. hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

I feel for you, I really do. I know how hard you have worked to help him out and all the heartache you have already gone through. Only you know what you need to do for the best, but I am willing him to fight for you as you have for him. You know how much you have helped him, I don't even need to remind you of what could have happened to him if you hadn't adopted him.

You are doing what is best for him and at the moment that means doing nothing. He knows you are there and that is all you can do. Do not doubt your abilities to care for him and ensure you are offering him the best chance, you know you have done all you can. It is up to him now.

The powerless feeling is horrendous. Just a few days ago I had to sit and watch a fish die and knowing there was nothing I could do was almost as bad as loosing her. She was beautiful but I hadn't yet formed the strong attachment to her you have with V so I know this must be tearing you apart.

We are all here for you as you go through this and I will be praying for you. God bless you.xx

6. poeticinjustices Well Known Member Member

Thank you guys. Haha I have been trying so hard to hold it together this afternoon but I read your posts and am just a blubbering mess right now. I had plans this afternoon but I decided to stay home in case he does finally give up.

He seems to have perked up considerably but I can see brand new damage on his tail, it doesn't look good. His pectoral fins and dorsal fin are also a mess. Tomorrow I am breaking down and sterilizing the tank and that's sort of my hail mary pass.

If that fails, and I suspect it will but I have to try, then I'm out of options. I just don't want to watch his fins degrade until it becomes body rot, but I cannot bring myself to order the bottle of clove oil if it does.

7. hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

Stop staring at his fins! You'll give yourself a breakdown!

He seems to have perked up = positive.
    You know your next step = positive.
    He hasn't given up = positive.
    You know you have done your best = positive.
    He has no reddish colouration = positive.
    You know the water is pristine = positive.

I think you catch my drift there.. :)

Just try and relax tonight. He's a tough 'un after all!x

8. poeticinjustices Well Known Member Member

Sorry, he does have the red tips. That was before I noticed the new tail damage. His tail looks pretty bad now.

But, I hear your point. Thank you :)

9. NCE12940 Well Known Member Member

I'll keep hoping that things improve, somehow, some way! I know you do too...

10. poeticinjustices Well Known Member Member

Thank you. You're all really great :) Haha I start to read your replies and the waterworks just come all over again.

Does anyone know the ratio of bleach/water for the plant dip? Is it just 1:9 bleach:water like sterilization? And how long do I keep the plants in the dip?

11. NCE12940 Well Known Member Member

I don't remember the bleach / water ration; I just remember that there were different ratios actually. I know I did a search here once and there were variations. But at this point anything that's not pure bleach might be ok! Maybe the magic charm!

12. poeticinjustices Well Known Member Member

I hope so. It's all I have left at this point.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

13. NCE12940 Well Known Member Member

I know we're all hoping for him, not that there's much else we can do, other than moral support.

14. poeticinjustices Well Known Member Member

It counts. Thank you.

15. fishingdeep Member Member

Hi, hey PJ since I can't respond with a quote I feel that you are mistaken with the advice that you may have been given from other posts. Why was salt added to begin with? Since bettas' aren't brackish and your plants don't like it maybe this is compounding your initial question to fix it. What did I miss? Thanks

16. poeticinjustices Well Known Member Member

fishingdeep - It was aq salt and not a full dose of it. I know that the use of aquarium salt in freshwater tanks is somewhat controversial among aquarists. My personal opinion of it is that it has a place, used properly and under caution. The use of the salt was done and over with a long time ago. See, he had fin rot from the cup I bought him in. I attempted to treat with clean water, time and a little salt. It was mostly healed, salt started coming out, normal tank maintenance, etc. Shortly after that, it came back, aggressively. So I treated aggressively following the medication regimen recommended by Mamajin. It worked and, up until a few days ago, he was healing beautifully. He had been without medication for maybe two weeks, just doing water changes and such to keep his water clean as he healed. Now it's back and, at first, it appeared to be responding to treatment again. Today, however, it's almost as bad as it was before. It's effecting different fins but the quantity of damage is more or less the same. Now that I think of it, it wasn't until after the salt was removed the first time that it came back in the first place. Though I think there's much more to it than the use of salt, it's certainly an interesting coincidence.

Anyway, my point is that I've tried many, many different avenues and each time they are successful - temporarily. He begins to heal, goes off of the intervention for awhile, then it comes back again. Only this time it's worse because he is still on the medication and it's still getting worse. And I'm really at a loss for what else to do besides break down the tank and start him over again.

17. fishingdeep Member Member

Then you cycle again and will still have the same issue and what meds are you using? Please know sometimes a cure is worse than the disease. Please don't compound for your fish and make it happy !!!

18. WolfaraRose Member Member

fishingdeep I have watched poe try her hardest to get V healthy and you honestly sound really condescending atm.

Also poe, I'm sorry V is having issues. I really really hate to recommended this, but what about Melafix as a last resort? Not even the full dose, and probably not even half, maybe a quarter dose? I know you don't like the use of Melafix in Bettas, but it did wonders for Bosco the rescued betta when I got him. I'm sending good energies your way as well, for both your sake and V's. I hope he gets better.

19. fishingdeep Member Member

Hey Wolf, remove any emotions we want her fish to survive . Can you help?

20. WolfaraRose Member Member

Robocop had his emotions removed. He had to have them to function. Removing emotions when trying to care for a fish seems like a sure fire way that no one would really care. Part of the joy of keeping fish seems to be actually caring for the fish and stuff. And yes, I put in my two cents on what I think she ought to do. Not gonna fight on someone elses thread.