Tank Background

Elbe

Reactions
Experience
Just started
hI all, noticed that the colour of my background is twice as bright when it’s a little wet. Looked into this and saw that people use Vaseline or olive oil to get desired affect. Looked into both methods and I think the oil seems the best bet, but my question is what are the downsides to using oil on your background? I understand it may slowly drip down after time but I’m not too fussed about that and that’s all I’ve seen people moan about really. Thanks in advance.

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reactions
Experience
More than 10 years
Elbe said:
hI all, noticed that the colour of my background is twice as bright when it’s a little wet. Looked into this and saw that people use Vaseline or olive oil to get desired affect. Looked into both methods and I think the oil seems the best bet, but my question is what are the downsides to using oil on your background? I understand it may slowly drip down after time but I’m not too fussed about that and that’s all I’ve seen people moan about really. Thanks in advance.
How about a bottle of rubber cement? It's removable, doesn't melt, drip, run, attract dust or become rancid!

Faytaya

Reactions
Experience
Just started
I agree with Momgoose56. Oil gets rancid, smelly, and foggy over time. Same with vaseline. Silicone glue or rubber cement will work wonders.

Salem

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
1 year
I haven't used olive oil on a background but I have used it to do similar things- the dripping as you mentioned can happen but what I noticed right away was the subtle smell. Also as momgoose said it can attract dust and eventually go rancid.

StarGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reactions
Experience
More than 10 years
Agree. You would think Olive oil will smell. It is food.

OP
Elbe

Elbe

Reactions
Experience
Just started
I did instantly think surely it will smell but I didn’t see a single comment on it, I’m going to just presume it will definitely smell. There’s a few products available to do this but wasn’t sure if it was needed or not. Thanks guys, won’t be smearing oil on anything now lol. Although the water is doing the trick until I get some proper stuff.

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reactions
Experience
More than 10 years
StarGirl15 said:
Agree. You would think Olive oil will smell. It is food.
Some Kindergartners would say the same thing about rubber cement....!

Nikki2577

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
5 to 10 years
Elbe said:
I did instantly think surely it will smell but I didn’t see a single comment on it, I’m going to just presume it will definitely smell. There’s a few products available to do this but wasn’t sure if it was needed or not. Thanks guys, won’t be smearing oil on anything now lol. Although the water is doing the trick until I get some proper stuff.
Loos up seaview adhesive. I used it and I think it works pretty well.

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reactions
Closer to Heaven every day but for now-Arkansas
Experience
More than 10 years
I use glycerin thinned with a bit of water. I have vinyl backgrounds on my tanks. I smear the thinned glycerin on the back ground. Get it right where I want it and then squeegee the excess water/glycerin out. I have never had one come loose when done this way.

OP
Elbe

Elbe

Reactions
Experience
Just started
mattgirl said:
I use glycerin thinned with a bit of water. I have vinyl backgrounds on my tanks. I smear the thinned glycerin on the back ground. Get it right where I want it and then squeegee the excess water/glycerin out. I have never had one come loose when done this way.
Whatever works mate, I’m not really looking for it to stick as I clear tape the edges. It’s just so much brighter with the layer of moisture on the glass for the light to reflect.

OP
Elbe

Elbe

Reactions
Experience
Just started
Nikki2577 said:
Loos up seaview adhesive. I used it and I think it works pretty well.
I’ve seen this mentioned the most times so probably a winner, thanks

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reactions
Experience
More than 10 years
Elbe said:
Whatever works mate, I’m not really looking for it to stick as I clear tape the edges. It’s just so much brighter with the layer of moisture on the glass for the light to reflect.
It definitely does brighten it up if it is stuck to the glass. The most important thing to do is get all the air bubbles out from between the glass and the back ground or you will see dark bubbles.

OP
Elbe

Elbe

Reactions
Experience
Just started
mattgirl said:
It definitely does brighten it up if it is stuck to the glass. The most important thing to do is get all the air bubbles out from between the glass and the back ground or you will see dark bubbles.
I will use my window tinting skills

OP
Elbe

Elbe

Reactions
Experience
Just started
mattgirl said:
Maybe I could hire you to come redo my 55 gallon tank. I am seeing a few bubbles 5.5 is easy, 55 not as easy and that is one of the main reasons I don't want it to come loose once I get it done.
If you’re in England and a reasonable distance I’d do it for free. Top tip: start in the middle

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reactions
Experience
More than 10 years
Elbe said:
If you’re in England and a reasonable distance I’d do it for free. Top tip: start in the middle
Well shoot. Guess it is just a tad too far to drive and you would get pretty wet trying to drive across the big pond between you and me Guess I will just overlook the small bubbles for now.

OP
Elbe

Elbe

Reactions
Experience
Just started
mattgirl said:
Well shoot. Guess it is just a tad too far to drive and you would get pretty wet trying to drive across the big pond between you and me Guess I will just overlook the small bubbles for now.[/QUOTE
Haha there are a few problems then if your over there. Not sure if it’s the same as window tint but you could try using a hairdryer at the same time.

OP
Elbe

Elbe

Reactions
Experience
Just started
Oops

Wydowmayker

Reactions
Experience
More than 10 years
Hmm.. I never heard of this before.

I have seen big breeders using black paint on the back glass, which seems to make the aquarium look a lot brighter.
I’ll have to try both methods.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom