Tank Background Picture Problems

1. AnthonyC4C

AnthonyC4C Well Known Member Member

2. Mer-max

Mer-max Well Known Member Member

I've always wondered if your supposed to put it on like window tint?

3. OP
    OP
    AnthonyC4C

AnthonyC4C Well Known Member Member

lol I thought about that myself even tried with using water and soap THEN I asked all the LFS about a gel or adhesive to buy nobody had anything except the ridiculous response of just tape it on...which I had already had done.

4. Matt B

Matt B Well Known Member Member

If its one of those plastic/vinyl type ones I would apply a light coat of mineral oil to the contact side and smooth out the bubbles with a credit card. I was able to do one with 3" of clearance this way.

5. Mrs.Price

Mrs.Price Valued Member Member

I was going to suggest the same :) *thumbs up*

6. lp89

lp89 Valued Member Member

I used a light coat of baby oil and a credit card to apply my background.

7. kevin215

kevin215 Valued Member Member

I used vasoline and smothed with a credit card. the baby oil should work just as good.

8. Disc61

Disc61 Well Known Member Member

I just paint mine now. but when i did use them, i used nothing but water, then applied the back ground and used a credit card or something to get the bubbles out. worked just fine for me.

9. B

BlueDiamond New Member Member

I just tinted mine. Works everytime, downside is if you wanted to change it.

10. freak78

freak78 Well Known Member Member

I used that new stuff from the fish store. It was that jell adhesive, just put it all over the glass and squeeze it out with a credit card or something similar. Worked great for me.

11. lp89

lp89 Valued Member Member

Just wanted to come back to this thread and share an issue I experienced using baby oil to apply my background.

It worked great at first. The background was shiny, bright, and visible from every angle you viewed the aquarium. However, very recently it started to curl at all four edges. Then, a little water droplet from the HOB filter seeped down between the glass and left a hideous air bubble straight down the centre. The oil must have dried out on the edges and stopped working. I tore down the background today while doing a water change (only time I can push my tank out from the wall to get at it, what a pain... :p). I decided to try a new method, hoping it will be a little more permanent.

I gave my background a good wash, and used a hairdryer to straighten out the curly edges. This helped it dry flat and straight. I applied a light layer of baby oil to the background, stuck it to the tank, and smoothed out the air bubbles with a credit card. This time I tried 2 long strips of black electric tape across the top and bottom and 2 long strips of clear scotch tape down the sides. I think this should seal out any water droplets from my filter, and hopefully stop it from curling.

I'll let you know how this worked in a few months!

12. Matt B

Matt B Well Known Member Member

I'm not sure which way you applied yours but an important part that never got brought up was applying the background to the with the inner part of the curve in the vinyl towards the tank (can't think of a better way to word that). It helps the corners stay down as their natural tendency is to push against the tank instead of away from it.

13. A

AlanGreene Well Known Member Member

i just celotaped mine to the outside of the tank... no problems so far