Tank And Cycle Questions

1. c

claix96 New Member Member

I've got a fantail goldfish 2 weeks ago as a gift from someone. Poor dude was in a fishbowl. I felt so sorry for it, I brought it a 10 gallon tank thinking it was enough. I found out about the nitrogen cycle and how he needs to be in a 30 gallon tank at the very least about 2 days after he was in the tank.
    He's been in the tank for around a week and a half now and I've been testing water parameters and doing daily 10-20% water changes. So far, pH is 7.5, ammonia is 0.25/ nitrites is 0/ nitrates is 0. I'm not even sure if the cycle has started :/ Water temperature is around 16 celcius (60 Fahrenheit ).

Anyway, I've been desperately searching for an affordable 50 gallon tank and I've finally got one today (I'm still a student after all. Spending all my part time job money to take care of my lil one :p). I was wondering if I should leave my fish in the 10 gallon tank while doing a fishless cycle with my 50 gallon? Or should I just put my fish in the 50 gallon straight away and do a fish-in cycle asap, since the 10 gallon should be in the process of cycling as well?

2. Adam Alston

Adam Alston New Member Member

Keep what your doing in the 10 gallon tank while your cycle your 50 gallon. This way, you can avoid any potential spikes in NO3, NO2, and NH3, while the tank is cycling and could kill your fish.

3. R

Racing1113 Well Known Member Member

I would put him in the 50 gallon. Like you said, either way you're going to do a fish in cycle. It will be much less dangerous in the bigger tank since the toxins won't build up as quickly. A week and a half in you're not too far in. Can you transfer over any decor and filter?

4. OP
    OP
    c

Ye transferring to the 50g sounds good. I have gravel, one deco and a hang on back filter that is only running since the 10g has been set up.
    Problem is, I've already ordered Aquaclear 70 filter online and it takes around 2 week to ship to aus. By then, the 10 gallon tank would've only been cycling for 3 weeks plus which I suppose isn't long either? Should I still do a fish-in cycle with the 50g when my filter arrives?

5. R

When are you getting the 50 gallon tank?

6. OP
    OP
    c

I have the 50g tank now. Just waiting for the filter to arrive around the 11th of Aug

7. R

Oh ok, gotcha. What I would do, is move over your gravel, decor and filter into the 50 gallon. Then when the Aquaclear arrives, run both filters on the tank for a few weeks so you don't lose any beneficial bacteria. Then you can get rid of the other filter and only use the Aquaclear. You'd still need to be doing pretty frequent water changes since the tank will be temporarily under filtered if you move him over now but I'd still move him over instead of keeping him in the 10 gallon. Or you could keep him in the 10 gallon until the filter arrives if you'd be more comfortable with that. But either way, you don't need to finish the cycle in the 10 gallon. With moving everything over and running both filters, in the 50 gallon you'll pick up your cycle right where you left off in the 10.

8. OP
    OP
    c

Sounds good :) My current filter only filters around 45g/hour. It will be very under filtered, especially for a goldfish, but I guess doing roughly 10-20% pwc daily depending on water parameters and using seachem prime to detox some ammonia and potential nitrites would be good enough to last till the Aquaclear arrives? :)

9. R

Sorry, just did an edit that kinda addressed that lol. Honestly, either way you'll still need to be testing and changing water frequently. With the 10 gallon because the toxins will build up quickly, and with the 50 gallon because it will be under filtered. It's whatever you're comfortable with. Goldfish have lived in too small tanks for much longer than the next 2 weeks lol. If he seems ok in there and you're ok with continuing your testing and doing daily water changes then I think you'd be fine to leave him for now. And awesome job with the prime! :)

10. OP
    OP
    c

I suppose I'll do just that then! I actually really enjoy doing daily water changes as it takes my mind off lots of things. I feed him a small amount everyday/every 2 days and the tank will be understocked too anyway so I guess I don't have to worry as much about sudden spikes in toxins :D
    Hopefully my lil filter is working fine and can give a turnover of at least once per hour too (I tend to worry a lot when I'm taking care of living things lol :dead:)

11. R

I'm the same way lol, I find water changes to be soothing. You're doing great with all of the curveballs that have been thrown at you! I'm sure you weren't expecting all of this when he was given to you. That goldfish is lucky he got you as his owner! Let me know if you have any other questions. If I don't know the answer I can point you to someone who does :)