Tank Almost Cycled

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Cousincat, Apr 22, 2018.

1. CousincatNew MemberMember

I have some feeder fish in this tank with a filter and these are the results I got today. Am I Almost there, should I do a water change today and after that how often? Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. N8_the_Gr8

N8_the_Gr8Valued MemberMember

You might want to wait a little bit more. Your nitrates are a little too high. I would do water changes 3 times a week 50%.

3. OP
    OP
    C

CousincatNew MemberMember

Thanks!

4. TexasGuppy

TexasGuppyWell Known MemberMember

Looks almost cycled actually.. Nitrates are lowered with simple water changes. You can't really say 50% 3/times a week unless you know how often water changes were already being done.
    One change of 50% may be plenty to keep nitrates down. I'd do a large change.. then monitor.. do a 50% change whenever levels get over 20... whenever that is, but you always want to do a weekly change of some amount, 20% or more really.

5. Jenoli42

Jenoli42Well Known MemberMember

I agree with @TexasGuppy . your numbers look great & you need to do weekly water changes to keep your nitrates at 20 or below (under 40 is safe but because the darned tests can be hard to read, most of us set 20 as the signal to do water changes :) )

your test results tell you how often & how much to change. both of my tanks are different. my smaller tank needs 25-35% once a week (or 35-40% every 10 days) & my larger tank needs about 15% once a week... or once a fortnight.

if you've got feeder fish in there now remember to stock your planned fish slowly (just a few at a time a week or two apart) so your bacteria colonies can catch up without a big or sustained spike in toxins. :)

6. DuaneV

DuaneVWell Known MemberMember

Nitrates are high-ish, but definitely not TOO high. It looks cycled and you just need to do your water change now. Its simple math too: Nitrates are at 40ppm and you want them at 10ppm, do a 50% change to make it 20ppm then a 50% change to make it 10ppm OR change 75% at once. Good luck!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice