Tank Acquired! Almost Near The Starting Point

excelsior

New Hobbyist. New member. New Tank. Who This?

Just brought home this corner bowfront tank/stand. It was advertised as a 35 gallon bowfront but I think it's actually 36. Never been a fan of bowfront but it was a deal I couldn't refuse.

1660073340273.png
1660073368762.png
1660073395939.png

Stock list I'm thinking of doing is below and in the order I plan to introduce the fish into the tank over a short period of time (i.e. 2-4 weeks) once cycled.

(5) Red Cherry Shrimp (Neocaridina heteropoda)
(10) Cherry Barb (Puntius titteya)
(3) Horned Nerite Snail (Clithon corona)
(6) Sterbai Cory (Corydoras sterbai)
(6) Dwarf Rainbowfish (Melanotaenia maccullochi)
(1) Bolivian Ram (Mikrogeophagus altispinosus)

Solutions for water treatment and cycling (see my Cycling Thread for a short, detailed list of steps I intend to follow):
-API Tap Water Conditioner
-Dr. Tim's Aquatics Ammonium Chloride Solution
-Fritz Aquatics Fritz Zyme 7 Freshwater Nitrifying Bacteria

Filter:
-I was planning to use a single Penguin Marineland 350 or (2) Marineland 200s. Will need to confirm how much real estate I have on the back/top frame
-Debating whether to switch to a canister instead, which I've never used before
-Primary driving factors to go with a canister versus HOB would be sound and aesthetics of the tank top
-If canister, I'll probably go with Marineland or Fluval but open to all feedback

Plants:
-Planning on artificial but could be convinced to go towards some low maintenance, real plants
-Trying to keep maintenance/upkeep to a minimum where I can

Substrate:
-National Geographic Aquarium Substrate
-Tan/Sand Color

Decor:
-Any ideas for a centerpiece that will work with the corner bowfront design (not flat back)?
-I have a few medium/large, brand new ornaments in storage

Attachments

• IMG-9765.jpg
    IMG-9765.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 3

86 ssinit

That’s a corner tank. It’s different from a bow. Being a corner I’d say for filters you’ve got 2 option. 1 the canister or 2 an internal filter. I’d go with internal. The 350 you mentioned needs 6”of space to fit. Look into the odyssea 250 or 350 sponge filter. That and a regular sponge filter should be fine. I’m running a 250 and sponge on a 50g with no problems.

Ok the fish you picked will eat your shrimp. Shrimp need there own tank. Also shrimp and nerite snails need an established tank. Something at least 6months old. Also need plants.

excelsior

That’s a corner tank. It’s different from a bow. Being a corner I’d say for filters you’ve got 2 option. 1 the canister or 2 an internal filter. I’d go with internal. The 350 you mentioned needs 6”of space to fit. Look into the odyssea 250 or 350 sponge filter. That and a regular sponge filter should be fine. I’m running a 250 and sponge on a 50g with no problems.

Ok the fish you picked will eat your shrimp. Shrimp need there own tank. Also shrimp and nerite snails need an established tank. Something at least 6months old. Also need plants.
Thanks for clarifying tank type. Was just going off what the person that sold it had it listed as.

Not doing sponge or internal filtration so I guess I might need to look into canister more.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
faydout
Replies
Views
SparkyJones
Replies
Views
woodsonfan
Replies
Views