Tank 1 week old

1. R

RookieTank Valued Member Member

So my 6 year old came to me asking for a fish. I obliged and we purchased a 10 gallon tank, gravel, bubble maker, some fake plants/rocks, AquaSafe, SafeStart.

I followed the directions of rinsing off all the "toys", rocks, and inside of the tank. Added water until it was within 2-3" of the top of the aquarium. From there we setup the filter and added Aquasafe and let it run for a day.

After a day I added 10-15ml's of SafeStart, went to the pet store and bought 3 fish, I let them get used to water and finally set them inside.

2 of the fish died the first day so I started to research fish tanks and found several sites explaining the nitrogen cycle. After reading a few sites it decided to get an API test kit and do a 25% water change.

I then added the rest of the SafeStart as it sounds like I was supposed to add the whole bottle not just a few ML's.

So it has been a week, we still have 1 fish alive, but the ammonia is at 4.0 ppm, Nitrite 0.0, Nitrate 0.0 and a ph of 7.8.

My question is what is to do next, since I did a water change than added the safestart, did I basically kill all the bacteria? Should I pour another bottle in the filter in hopes of it taking?

Should I do another water change first to bring down the ammonia?

Should I buy some stuff to neutralize the ammonia?

At this point I should have bought my son a hermit crab like he wanted.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

2. peregrine

peregrine Valued Member Member

First welcome to the forums.

So maybe I'm just confused ((it happens often)) did you get auquasafe and safestate?

Also not seeing a filter on your list of stuff. Or I' blind, again happens to be all the time

I got into this hobby because of my 3 year old. So know what you went through..

3. OP
    OP
    R

Sorry for the confusion. The pump and filter came with the tank, I think it is a Whisper filter??? it hangs inside the tank.

I did get AquaSafe and SafeStart, but I think I may have added the SafeStart to soon after adding the AquaSafe.

4. tfreema

tfreema Fishlore VIP Member

Did you get the safe start plus and NOT the monthly? Your readings sound like there has been no bacterial growth.

The fish will not survive long at 4.0 so I would get that down with a large water change. Buy some stability and prime. The stability will add beneficial bacteria and you can do water changes. With TSS you don't do water changes for two weeks. The prime will replace your current dechlorinator and will also neutralize up to 2.0 ammonia and nitrite. You will still see them on your test readings, but prime makes it safer for the fish.

If you wind up losing the one fish, I would recommend starting a fishless cycle with ammonia.

Others on this forum are experts at fish in cycle. I am only experienced with fishless. It is too stressful for me to cycle with fish to keep alive and not harm with high toxic levels.

Best of luck and know that patience is the key for a successful cycle whether fish in or fishless.

5. OP
    OP
    R

I don't think it was the TSS Plus, the monthly I guess.

6. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to the forum :)

If you added TSS within 24hrs of using the conditioner, it may have failed. Also, what kind of fish do you have? Can you also test your ammonia out of the tap?

Here is a link on how to use TSS+:

https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/aquarium-nitrogen-cycle/58116-q-tetra-tetra-safestart.html

Edit: Just saw that you used the monthly TSS. You'll want to use the one that says "Start Up" on the bottle. And I agree to do a couple of large water changes to bring that ammonia down since that is extremely toxic for fish. And you're using the liquid test kit?

7. OP
    OP
    R

We have a Betta fish and are using a API liquid test kit.

Just to make sure I understand, should I do a 25% water change using Prime, wait 24-48 hours then add the TTS+ for startup?

8. el337

Ok, if you can also test your water source and post them here. I would definitely get that ammonia down below 1ppm by doing a couple of large water changes (at least 50%). Also, I recommend getting a good water conditioner like Seachem Prime that has the ability to detox the ammonia and nitrite up to 1ppm for 24hrs.

Just a note that having other fish with a betta can be a hit or miss so I would be weary of adding any more fish in the tank. It's best just to keep the betta by itself. You could add shrimp and/or snails but I'd only add them after you're cycled.

9. OP
    OP
    R

Will adding Prime/Stability stop TSS+ from working?

Also when I add the Prime and Stability do I do it in conjuncture with a water change or add it directly to the tank?

Sorry for all the questions, I really am a newbie.

10. peregrine

Prime may stop TSS from working. Stability should not.

And you can do prime and stability with a water change or just directly into the tank. When doing directly into the tank I usually take a plastic cup. get some tank water. Put it into that water, then pour in.. Just because I don't like hitting my fish directly with any stuff.

11. OP
    OP
    R

I assume I should work on getting the ammonia down first then add the TSS+?

12. el337

I don't think adding Stability which is another bacteria supplement would stop TSS+ from working but it's not necessary to add both. Prime will, however, interfere with TSS+.

Prime is added to the new water being added during water changes as it is a water conditioner. You can also add it directly to the tank. Stability is dosed daily following the directions on the bottle. I believe it's a 7 day dosing schedule.

13. OP
    OP
    R

ok, so Prime is another type of TSS while Stability is a lot like AquaSafe?

So can Prime and Stability be used together?

14. el337

Prime and AquaSafe are water conditioners. Difference between these two are that Seachem Prime also has the ability to detoxify ammonia and nitrite up to 1ppm for 24hrs which is a plus. Many of us here use it.

TSS+ and Seachem Stability are bacteria supplements. Difference between these two is that you can't do water changes for 2 weeks with the use of TSS+ as per the Q&A link provided above.

Yes, Prime and Stability can be used together.

15. Aludar

Aludar Valued Member Member

I believe its the other way around, Prime is a water conditioner, while from what I've heard Stability is a bacterial starter.

Prime and Stability are perfectly fine to my knowledge of being used together.

16. OP
    OP
    R

Thanks, just what I needed to know.

17. peregrine

Reverse what you said. Prime is like aquasafe Stability is like TSS.

Biggest thing with TSS is their instructions say to not use TSS for 24 hours after using a tap water treatment nor anything that locks up the ammonia ((like even auquasafe or prime)) and not doing water changes for a certain amount of time ((don't know what it is I don't use TSS jsut know what people have said here)) where Stabliity you can do all your normal maintenance and use whenever.

Yes you can use them together.

18. OP
    OP
    R

We just returned from Petco. They carried Prime but not Stability, is there another treatment I can use in place of Stability which I can use in conjunction with Prime. If not I'll order Stability online.

19. el337

You could still use TSS+ to cycle your tank. You just can't dose it after the use of a water conditioner whether it be Prime or some other brand within 24 hrs.

20. OP
    OP
    R

So I am guessing I should use Prime daily for a week doing 20% water changes until ammonia numbers improve then add TSS+ and don't touch the tank for 2 weeks?