Tanichthys kuehnei - Lemon White Cloud

Tinytail
Does anyone own these fish? The other, other White Cloud Mountain Minnow lol. I got two at some point at the end of last year. They were the only ones in a tank of regular white clouds and I jumped on them cause I’d never seen them before. I like them A LOT. They’re like tiny trout. I have them with a group of gold white clouds so they’re not too lonely but I’d rather have a school of the kuehnei. Unfortunately it seems like I got two females. I put in a request for more at the store I got them but it might have been a fluke and they came in with the regular white clouds. The store has been curb-side only since March so I can’t go chat up the fish manager about it.
I was wondering if anyone else has found these randomly or if they know anyone who sells them purposely lol. Or if you just want to talk about these guy. I think they’re pretty rad :cat:

chromedome52
I cannot imagine how specimens of this brand new species would have gotten mixed into a tank of regular White Clouds. That boggles the mind. Do you have a photo of your fish? I noticed that the photo you posted is from an article about their discovery, you should know that FL does not allow copyright infringement.

Female White Clouds can sometimes be a lot less colorful than the males, and it is possible that you have simply misidentified the fish. Which is why photos of your fish would be very helpful in supporting your claim.

Tinytail
I wasn’t claiming the picture as my own, just sharing one off google images because it’s way clearer than any I could ever get on my phone lol. Here’s the best I’ve got. I think counting fin rays is one thing that distinguishes different white clouds so I’ll have to try to get a better picture but the girls don’t flare like the boys do unfortunately. At the store they said they get “three different types of white clouds: regular with the red tails, this kind with the yellow tails, and the albino kind” so that kinda illustrates the knowledge level there. They might be ordering them specifically but I would expect them to cost more than $3.99 if they were. Then again they were once selling gelius barbs as microrasboras because the fish manager was on vacation and no one knew what they were lol. I don’t really like the store on a whole but my options are pretty slim where I live. At least they don’t sell injection dyed fish like their sister location.....
A374C168-409C-400B-9BB4-816695846865.jpeg

chromedome52
Unfortunately, your fish are not Tanichthys kuehnei but simply off color female albonubes, so far as I can see. I managed to find the actual species description paper while looking at the photos on Google (sometimes it does work!). The iridescent line down the side is positioned too high to be the new species, and is located much like a regular WCMM. I also noticed that the fish has white tips on the ventral fins, and only albonubes has those; even micagemmae does not.

I will admit it is an oddly colored fish. Not likely to be a new species, but could be an undocumented variant of the regular White Cloud.

Tinytail
Interesting! Well kind of a bummer and a relief at the same time lol. It would probably be really hard to track down more of such a rare fish. It does seem to be an unusual color morph! Idk how well my picture showed but they look like someone took a pic of an albonubes into photoshop and took all the red out of the image. Even the brown of the body is more of a bronze color than the warmer brown of regular white clouds. And if they are albonubes they can spawn with my gold white clouds I suppose.... Idk if that’s a good thing or a bad thing lol. It would be wild to have a gold with yellow fins! Probably they would just end up normal though I assume. Well they’re going in the summer pond this year. I got fry from the golds in there last summer but most of them were eaten by dragonfly nymphs before they could grow I don’t get any fry from egglayers in the community tank

Latest threads

Top Bottom