Tanganyika Callochromis Pleurospilus (pretty Fish Mini Cichlid)

Crazycoryfishlady

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I suppose they're not exactly mini... But are definitely lots smaller than other cichlids living in the lake.
Says 4-4.5 inches is their max, but it's not unusual for them to be smaller.
Males are semi aggressive territory holders, and a group of females usually hangs out with a male.

Their name literally means pretty fish.
Kallos meaning pretty chromis fish.

https://www.aquariumdomain.com/adSocial/index.php/callochromis-cichlid/

The females are pretty easy going, and so long as the male has an area that is his own, he'll be fairly good tempered as well, but gets a bit nippy at times.
They are a small mouthbrooder and the male entices the female to lay eggs in a small sand ditch before she gobbles them up for 3 weeks.
She should be alone while raising the babies.

This is just a bit of what I've learned about the fish.

And unless I find a peacock I really want...
(Thinking about maybe strawberry but their quality is hard to determine based on website photos...)
I'll probably get a small group of these guys and try breeding them.
It says they're fairly easy to care for, and so long as everyone and the male is happy, they'll breed pretty easy.
Looking to sell them to my lfs.
He wanted peacocks, but I think he'll like these guys a lot.

I was looking at OB's, but after seeing that they have some trouble breeding sometimes, I wasn't too excited.
I'm not looking for culling half my stock because they don't fit a color bill....

Luckily the callochromis is a very colorful fish, even though it may look plain from afar.

I bought this amazing new piece of drift wood for my tank, and it's going to be the start of the base of the hardscape.
I'll have to collect many more stone and maybe make some faux caves out of clay.

I'm very excited to learn more about these guys and hopefully purchase some! They're fantastic little fish.

Does anyone here have them or know about them? Looking for some tips and tricks and perhaps a private seller here.
Let me know if you've kept/bred these guys! Or if you just plain think they're super cute and cool!

A201

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That certainly is a pretty fish. I don't currently keep any Tanganyika Cichlids, but have kept Calvus, another beautiful Tanganyika cichlid, in the past. If you get a chance check out the Calvus. They rival Peacocks in looks & behavior.

OP
C

Crazycoryfishlady

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
oooo yes! love those guys! very pretty! Not sure if that's what my lfs has for their cichlid in their big 150 or not.
sorta looks similar in shape and coloration.
I'm very excited for callochromis! Probably going to order them after the 18th this month since that's when my vacation ends

Toggle Sidebar

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom