Tanganyika Biotope

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I've got a spare 48"x18"x18" tank here & I've been missing having a rift lake tank so I'm considering getting it set up as a Lake Tanganyika biotope in the next few months when work settles down a bit more..

Filtration would come from 2 x Eheim 2213's (still to purchase). I would be having a pool filter sand substrate, lots of rockwork, some large shells & a few thickets of Vallisneria Spiralis.

These are the fish I'm thinking of having:

1 x Calvus (Altolamprologus Calvus)
1 x Fairy Cichlid (Neolamprologus Brichardi)
1 x Lemon Cichlid (Neolamprologus Leleupi)
4 x Brown Julie (Julidochromis Dickfeldi) - (1M, 3F)
10 x Black-finned Cichlid (Paracyprichromis Nigripinnis)
4 x Cuckoo Catfish (Synodontis Multipunctatus)

Does anyone see any problems with that stock or have any other fish they think I might like to consider adding/substituting?

swervo513

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
brichardi are beautiful fish with simple coloring. Any of the top 3 fish you mentioned are interesting to watch as pairs. I have kept africans and my brichardi have mated which was a sight to see. I would go with one of those species as a pair. However, the brichardi are quite territorial as a pair and can get pretty aggressive.

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The Brichardi are the one that I definitley wouldn't have a pair of. Not because of thier aggression but because of thier breeding habits. They will soon take over an entire tank. Breeding them is species tank stuff IMO.

I want the Brown Julies to breed becasue that will give the Cuckoo Catfish the opportunity to breed. The Julies & the Cats won't cause any harm to the other fish if they do breed. The fry might get eaten if I don't get to them soon enough but that doesn't bother me too much. I'll just raise what I do save out of them. The Nigripinnis won't cause any problems for anything, they are way too peacefull even when they do breed.

I'd like to breed the Calvus but they get really aggressive so that is best left for another tank & another time. The Lemons I've bred a few times before.

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'm still learning about Lake Tang cichlids, but I'll be watching this thread closely to learn more
It will probably be mid to late July when I put this together. I'll start a thread in the Members Tanks section detailing the full build with occasional updates on how the fish are progressing.

bolivianbaby

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
It will probably be mid to late July when I put this together. I'll start a thread in the Members Tanks section detailing the full build with occasional updates on how the fish are progressing.
That would be awesome, Nutter! I'm looking forward to learning more about Tangs through you;D

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom