180 Gallon Tank Tang Compatibility

NC122606

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So I know I was advised to only do 1 Tang but I cut my stocking in half because of me wanting to do a Reef Tank instead of a FOWLR (I mean who would not in this big tank?) So here are some Tangs I am looking at.

Blue Hippo Tang (Keep This) or Yellow Belly Blue Hippo Tang
Blue Powdered Tang
Powder Brown Tang
Achilles Tang
Purple Tang (I really like this one)
Yellow Hawaii Tang
Sailfin Tang
Clown Tang
White Tail Bristoletooth Tang
Mimic Lemon Peel Tang
Blue Caribbean Tang

I am really in the directions of picking
Blue Hippo Tang
Purple Tang
(BLANK)

Thanks this will now be a 180 Gallon REEF Tank.
Well, it will be FOWLR to start out but slowly turn into a REEF. (As I was suggested elsewhere)

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Blue hippos are great and should be #1 IMO .
I think if you want a purple then you are done ! They are known to be the meanest of all tangs .
Basically mixing tangs is tough ,mixing tangs that have the same shape is even harder.
With the hippo you have one shape and the purple is the other ..
Next one is going to whip the hippo or be in trouble IMO.
I have had ,powder brown ,powder blue ,Desarjarni sailfin , blue hippo , yellow both common and Phillipine ,and clown at least . Not all at once but my last attempt at keeping similar shapes ended up in marine ich from constant stress and the loss of over $500 in tangs and the rest of the fish minus a comet .Powder blue and brown and a chevron together were no good in 120g..The clown was pretty mean where ever he was !
I have considered the purple and now being tang free may find myself in possession some time soon ,but no others for me ..Kind of glad the desarjardini is going ..Too big and active for the 120 IMO ..His presence took away from the tank IMO..
If you really want purple it has to be the last one added so be sure when you get him.
Any tang added after gets the common newspaper headline " Newcomer run over by welcome wagon " !
I have had a marine tank since the late 1980s...I would honestly pick your favorite one tang and do just that and have something to look forward to in the future when it passes ?

NC122606

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Blue hippos are great and should be #1 IMO .
I think if you want a purple then you are done ! They are known to be the meanest of all tangs .
Basically mixing tangs is tough ,mixing tangs that have the same shape is even harder.
With the hippo you have one shape and the purple is the other ..
Next one is going to whip the hippo or be in trouble IMO.
I have had ,powder brown ,powder blue ,Desarjarni sailfin , blue hippo , yellow both common and Phillipine ,and clown at least . Not all at once but my last attempt at keeping similar shapes ended up in marine ich from constant stress and the loss of over $500 in tangs and the rest of the fish minus a comet .Powder blue and brown and a chevron together were no good in 120g..The clown was pretty mean where ever he was !
I have considered the purple and now being tang free may find myself in possession some time soon ,but no others for me ..Kind of glad the desarjardini is going ..Too big and active for the 120 IMO ..His presence took away from the tank IMO..
If you really want purple it has to be the last one added so be sure when you get him.
Any tang added after gets the common newspaper headline " Newcomer run over by welcome wagon " !
I have had a marine tank since the late 1980s...I would honestly pick your favorite one tang and do just that and have something to look forward to in the future when it passes ?
Ok, thanks I will have to go with the Blue Hippo and Purple Tang.
I would really love to add a Comet / Marine Betta when I start, how was yours? Do you think it needed a pair because I heard they are impossible to sex only by their interactions?
Instead of the 3rd Tang, I was thinking something like a Foxface or a CopperBanded Butterflyfish (Or a Pyramid or a Yellow Longnosed one.) But for Butterflyfish I heard they are 50 50 on eating corals but are great at eating aiptasia. Also, for the Foxface, I heard they could be like a ticking bomb and as they get older will start to eat the coral but that is what I have heard.
A bit off-topic but do you think that a Mombasa Lionfish (6.25 Inches) could eat a Maroon Clownfish (6 inches)? (It is ok if you do not know (
Anyways thanks!

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I had a fox face and it was well behaved welcome addition to my tank .
The comets have to be in any tank I have ! Having more then one has never worked out in pairing but I had 2 for 3 years that never even looked at each other and stayed on opposite ends of tank ..I am sure it may have been different at night ! Pretty sure if not well fed they will eat your shrimp ..
They are simple and fascinating..Along with royal gramma and mandarin or now a ruby red they are must haves for my marine tank ..
The copper banded is nice fish I have kept for several years ..Mine was huge ..Corals ,feather dusters anything frail is at risk with them ! Nice looking fish almost no LFS will guarantee at all ! Butterfly fish are some of the most touchy to accommodate..You just never know what you are going to get .
Have your LFS feed every fish you want to buy in front of you so you see it eat ..Don't skip that step !
Lion fish are not as tough as they are made out ,they eat what fits in their mouth ..Maroon clowns on the other hand are meaner then sin !

NC122606

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I had a fox face and it was well behaved welcome addition to my tank .
The comets have to be in any tank I have ! Having more then one has never worked out in pairing but I had 2 for 3 years that never even looked at each other and stayed on opposite ends of tank ..I am sure it may have been different at night ! Pretty sure if not well fed they will eat your shrimp ..
They are simple and fascinating..Along with royal gramma and mandarin or now a ruby red they are must haves for my marine tank ..
The copper banded is nice fish I have kept for several years ..Mine was huge ..Corals ,feather dusters anything frail is at risk with them ! Nice looking fish almost no LFS will guarantee at all ! Butterfly fish are some of the most touchy to accommodate..You just never know what you are going to get .
Have your LFS feed every fish you want to buy in front of you so you see it eat ..Don't skip that step !
Lion fish are not as tough as they are made out ,they eat what fits in their mouth ..Maroon clowns on the other hand are meaner then sin !
Thank you!
I will have to take a look at these others since I might pass on the Lionfish since I am considering Banggai Cardinalfish Instead. Are Mandarin really hard to keep to you just need to wait at least a year for the tank to be established? I might consider other Clownfish since I will not have any predators in the tank expect a Zebra Moray Eel (Which has rounded teeth.) which I would not consider a threat.

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My zebra moray grew from a pencil size to 2 feet in one year ! They will mess up a reef for sure ..
It bit both of my lionfish [they are a bite first ask questions later fish ] and they never went after food again ..Whether it was fear or the bacteria the eel harbors he killed both lions !
Banggais are mean to each other so get a bunch on sale or a pair and pray ..
If you wait for your tank to mature and everything is going smooth I don't think mandarins are that hard ..I have always had one and do nothing special for them ..The sump makes the bugs they want and some actually learn to eat prepared food over time ..My current ruby red is 2-3 years with me now ..Pretty cool little fish ..

NC122606

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
My zebra moray grew from a pencil size to 2 feet in one year ! They will mess up a reef for sure ..
It bit both of my lionfish [they are a bite first ask questions later fish ] and they never went after food again ..Whether it was fear or the bacteria the eel harbors he killed both lions !
Banggais are mean to each other so get a bunch on sale or a pair and pray ..
If you wait for your tank to mature and everything is going smooth I don't think mandarins are that hard ..I have always had one and do nothing special for them ..The sump makes the bugs they want and some actually learn to eat prepared food over time ..My current ruby red is 2-3 years with me now ..Pretty cool little fish ..
Oh really? I heard they were the most docile eel, did the lionfish do anything to it? They could mess up a reef is they, of course, knock over stuff . So Banngais are just like Tangs? Just get them together and hopefully it works out I guess. I will have to try out Mandarin! Thanks!

Edit: I just looked up about it, seems pretty bad so no hand feeding. I saw someone letting the Zebra Moray nip at his hands...
I still want one but thank you for making me aware of this!

Jesterrace

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I also have a One Spot Foxface and it has done well with my Corals (To be fair I have a tiny Zoanthid polp and several Euphyllia frags and that's it). As for the Tangs, I agree that once the Purple is added it will be tough to add more, although having a 180 gallon will help.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom