Tang And Coral Beauty

Discussion in 'Saltwater Fish Forum' started by seabear, Apr 8, 2017.

1. seabear

seabear Valued Member Member

So I picked up a coral beauty angelfish today... and my yellow tang is glued to him. She follows the coral beauty everywhere.. would anyone happen to know why ??

2. Mike

Mike Fishlore Admin Moderator Member

The yellow tang is probably just being territorial. Are you noticing it acting aggressive towards the coral beauty? Is the yellow tang tail slapping the coral beauty?

3. OP
    OP
    seabear

No she just swims with it and sometimes she will raise her top fin.

4. Jayd976

Jayd976 Well Known Member Member

Be careful and monitor the situation for next couple days. Tangs have scalpels in their tails (hence the name surgeon fish) which they use as a defense mechanism slicing up other fish they feel threatened by.

Should always add your peaceful fish in first and the semi-aggressive to agressive last so they don't claim a territory and harass all the other fish.

5. Mike

Yeah raising of the fins, posturing, can be viewed as the tang letting the coral beauty know whose tank it is.

6. OP
    OP
    seabear

But the tang does not act like this towards the clownfish? Also the coral beauty is bigger than my tang...

7. BeanFish

BeanFish Well Known Member Member

I know some people have had sucess with agressive tangs by sticking a picture of a bigger yellow tang to the glass. Maybe you should try that out.

8. OP
    OP
    seabear

so why is she not doing this to the clownfish?

9. Jayd976

Clownfish is small and probably not threatened by it.

10. OP
    OP
    seabear

If she is threatened by coral beauty then why is she following

11. Mike

It's just an instinct thing. New fish in it's territory and it is going to keep an eye on it. The tang has a stranger in it's house, he is following the coral beauty to make sure he doesn't touch the tang's drum set (step brothers ref FTW).

12. Jayd976

Is she following, chasing or trying to nudge out of her space? Really no way to know for sure so that's why just monitor it. Tangs are capable of doing real damage with those scalpels.

13. OP
    OP
    seabear

They eat on the algae together... so it made me wonder if they made friends??

14. OP
    OP
    seabear

She goes everywhere the coral beauty goes.

15. BeanFish

Could you upload a video to see the exact behavior? I think that would be really helpful. A picture is worth a thousand words, a video is worth even more. :D
    You can upload it to youtube and post the link to the video here.
    Other than that, just keep an eye on the tang, if it lashes out against the coral beauty you could try the big tang image sticked to the glass method.

16. OP
    OP
    seabear

OK shes now turning her back to the coral beauty and slaps her back fin on it

17. BeanFish

Then I would try out this method:
    Skip to minute 4:24

18. Jayd976

This is a problem the tail is where the scalpels are and how they attack.

19. OP
    OP
    seabear

Video doesnt play or work

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice