Taming my monitor project lol

1. Micaela13 Well Known Member Member

Hi guys, for all of you that don't know yet, I got a Dumerils monitor over the weekend. She's 3 feet long and isn't used to people because of being in the shop for a long time. I'm a patient person so the warning I got when I bought her didn't bother me. I know she's going to claw me and tail whip me a few times before she realizes I'm not going anywhere lol. This thread is about her progress with getting used to me. I see in my future that I will be able to take her out and hold her on my shoulder and her be comfortable.

If anyone has owned one of these specific monitors before and has some tips, they are welcome and will be much appreciated. :) thanks guys!!

2. Micaela13 Well Known Member Member

And here is a pic of her.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

Attached Files:

3. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

She's rather cute. :)

Looking forward to more pictures and updates!

4. shayla1 Well Known Member Member

She is a good looking lizard! Also be careful because some monitors will bite and they they do bite hard if they choose to do this.

I hope her taming goes well and she learns to accept you quickly. :happy0034::;smileyfrog

5. Micaela13 Well Known Member Member

Yeaa, she already scratched me pretty bad but hasn't bit me yet hehe :p she doesn't seem like the biting type. But you never know haha ;)
    I haven't picked her up since I put her in the cage because I want to do it slowly.
    I know I'm going to get hurt and have to do a lot of healing but it is so worth it to me. I love her to death already and am excited to see her progress..
    I have also named her Akuma. It means demon in Japanese lol. But she's going to be a sweetheart, I know it.

So update!! It has only been 2 days and she has stopped hissing when I pet her back, she also turns her head and smells my hand everytime, flicking her tongue and touching my hand with it lol it's so cute!!!!
    She also shows off her water when I go in to check on her. Like dunking her head under, coming up in a different spot, then coming back to where I am to start smelling again.

6. celizabethh3 Member Member

She's adorable! Good luck taming her, and make sure you take lots of pictures to share! :D

Sent from my iPad using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

7. Micaela13 Well Known Member Member

Oh I will!! I've also noticed a nasty scar behind her front right leg. I noticed it when I got her and it is very old but it makes me think what happened and how much pain she was in.. poor thing. :( good thing it healed tho.
    More pics of her that I took yesterday while she was on her heat pad.

Attached Files:

8. celizabethh3 Member Member

Awe, poor thing. :( It makes me sad when people mistreat their animals but I know she's in a good home now!

Sent from my iPad using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

9. Micaela13 Well Known Member Member

Aww thanks!
    Yea I think what happened was a little kid got her as a baby (because they are crazy colorful when they are babies) and got tired of her when her colors faded and took it back to the pet store. I also think she was housed with another monitor or something of her size and she was injured while fighting, or just plain attacked.
    I'm just hoping it wasn't the owner that did this, because if it was it's probably a good thing I don't know them :mad:

10. Micaela13 Well Known Member Member

Ok update! I was gone all day and I get home with 2 mice to feed her because she hasn't eaten in awhile. I look in her tank, she's gone. So we search and search and gratefully find her behind my sister's bed. Let me tell you. I WAS FREAKING OUT!!! I have never been so stressed in a very long time. She was unharmed but not happy with me AT ALL. So there goes the progress from yesterday :mad:
    But that's ok :) she is safe
    And actually after I put her back in her tank I fed her a mouse and she ate it pretty quickly so she must not of been that stressed.
    Now she's happy in her water and I'm recovering from my heart attack. :p
    Oh yea, and I was able to get a couple pics of her scar.

Attached Files:

11. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Adventurous little thing, isn't she? LOL She was probably have a good time, then you ruined it :p

I find the key to reptiles hearts are fatty foods. Bust out treats early and often when you first get them (after normal feeding time, of course-- don't want them thinking that normal foods are no good!) and they will love you forever. Take it slow, but learn to recognize when it's ok to push them.

12. Micaela13 Well Known Member Member

Great advise. Thanks a lot :) you are right about the food, my water dragon loovvvess food. I have to hand feed her tho outside the cage because she loves the attention so much haha :p

And Akuma is sooo curious!! Like a little puppy, and when anyone ruins it she lets them know that's for sure lol. Im going to try the treat thing a lot more. It does seem to work.

13. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

I buy my leopard geckos love with waxworms. Those are like gecko crack! Hornworms are similar, just larger (waxworms are tiny). I wonder if she'd eat some...? I don't know if they eat hugs or not lol

Hand feeding is great. Builds a bond very quickly. They learn to associate you with food, and they will love you forever if they know you feed them LOL When I was taming my geckos, I'd handle them for a few minutes a day, slowing increasing the length of time I held them as they got more comfortable, and then as soon as I out them back in the tank, I'd toss them a waxworm. No one can resist a nice juicy waxworm!

Raven, my youngest gecko (1 year old, 12 inches long, and 120 grams!!) with give me this real quiet, gravely, zippery hiss when I interrupt his great adventures on the bed :;laughing

14. Micaela13 Well Known Member Member

Hahaha :p yea that is how I got my water dragon so used to me. I ALWAYS hand feed.
    I'm thinking about getting some superworms and hornworms pretty soon to hand feed her as treats and see how it goes.
    And waxworms are awesome my waterdragon Eragon loves them. But I'm thinking they will be alittle small for Akuma and she will just stare at them like what the neck do u want me to do with those?? Lol :)
    Your raven sounds awesome!! I'm guessing a giant?? Lol :) my cousin is obsessed with those.

Update, well a small one,
    She's working off her big meal from yesterday on her heat pad, so I don't want to bother her today. Here's a pic of the cutey resting.

Attached Files:

15. blusshed Well Known Member Member

I seriously love her.

My husband had a GIANT iguana.
    She was beyond evil, and even whipped him with her tail so hard she sliced him.
    She would pee all over her entire tank as soon as he finished cleaning it...

Sounds like your "Demon" is much less demon-like :p
    Shes really great looking! And I'm sure will look even better as she is with you!
    Glad she found a good home!

16. Micaela13 Well Known Member Member

Thank you!!
    Haha iguana are awesome but yes they can be really mean lol.

Akuma tries to act like a demon. She hisses really loudly, tries to tail whip me, but really just flinches trying to scare me away. But once she realizes I'm not leaving she goes to my hand and smells it with her tongue lol
    I can tell she's just all talk and will calm down and except me more with time.
    Shes already looking better then when I got her, her skin is amazing and not dry like it was. I cant wait tell I get all situated and am able to put her in her forever home. :p

17. Micaela13 Well Known Member Member

Update!
    I put my hand in again and she let out a low hiss but a short one and smelt my hand again and looked around. So it hasn't gotten worse which is good. :) I think she is still mad at me from yesterday lol :p but we will see, I'm going to pet her again in the morning and see where that goes.
    I'm also going to get some fatty foods for her this weekend, like superworms or hornworms and try to hand feed her. Since I love her so much and cant stop taking pics, here's another one!

Attached Files:

18. blusshed Well Known Member Member

She's awesome!

I'm sure she'll respond to the tasty treats!

19. Micaela13 Well Known Member Member

Hope so!! :p

20. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Yeah, waxworms will be too small. Unless you find some sort of super giant ones lol Hornworms are similar, just larger (and suitable as a staple, rather than a treat, for insectivores).

I bought Raven not knowing his genetics, but based on his growth rate, age and weight, he's a super giant. I have some pictures in the reptile part of the forum. They can't be too far down the page. No body posts here lol

She is such a cutie :) I'm glad she's doing well! She seems smart. I bet that behavior got her left alone with her previous owner because they handled her too rough. But she knows you won't do that, and you have nomz.