Tall plants?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by guster730, Jan 4, 2013.

1. guster730Valued MemberMember

I'm going to buy some new plants in a few days, most likely from liveaquaria.com (tell me if there's something better). What are some plants that grow very tall? I have a 55 gal tank, I previously had plastic plants that went almost all the way to the top which I liked.

2. Matt BWell Known MemberMember

Depending on lighting there are options but good low light fast vertical growers are pennywort and hornwort. Once you get 50 posts you can use the buy/sell/trade section of the forum to purchase fish/plants from other members.

3. guster730Valued MemberMember

I just ordered a dual T5HO 108w so that should be good. I've actually got some hornwort although I just have it wrapped around my decorations. Once the light comes it'll probably grow a lot more considering my current lights are horrible and I haven't seen any growth.

4. Matt BWell Known MemberMember

When I had mine under moderate/high light it grew 3-4" a day, not exaggerating!

5. guster730Valued MemberMember

Nice.. Can't wait to see how the light works.

6. kinezumi89Fishlore VIPMember

I can definitely vouch for hornwort growing fast! I ended up taking it out of my 55 because I tried planting it, but the needles under the gravel would die from lack of light, then there would be nothing holding the stem in the gravel so it would come out, and with it a cloud of dead needles. Pain in the butt :p

Other tall plants: Vals (Italian, Jungle, Corkscrew), onion plant, cabomba, wisteria, water sprite (tall in my tanks at least! I also have 108W T5HO)

7. Matt BWell Known MemberMember

Oh, Zumi reminded me. When I had it in my 55 I would bunch it, wrap a lead weight around the base and just let it sit on the substrate you can make large or small bunches to get the look you're going for. When its time to trimyou can just pull the whole bunch up and the needles don't die as much because they aren't buried.

Also, if you want it to look its nicest, trim from the bottom and reuse the tops, they tend to be straight and clean looking.

8. kb9plcWell Known MemberMember

Pennywort is awesome. I can vouch for that growing fast too. And it looks mighty purrrrrrty. :)

Water wisteria too. I have that in two tanks. One is a very shallow betta tank and I have to cut it down weekly. It gets pretty bushy too.

It might sound crazy, but under the right circumstances those goofy little waterlily bulbs you can get a Petco will grow fast and VERY tall also. I have two and one would literally grow a few inches every day. It actually got out of control and I had to cut it down.... move it to the back (it was in front because I didn't realize how big it would get).... and start all over again. Think I had conversation with Kzumi about this and hers didn't do the same. But mine were nuts. Took a while for them to sprout. But once they did there was no stopping 'em!

9. MagooFishlore VIPMember

I managed to grow hygrophilia really tall in a 12 gallon fluval edge which is a pretty tall tank and it was nice and bushy too

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357330115.599492.jpg
    Here it is before I took it all down

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice