Tall Hairgrass

TheFishmonger

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hello, I have an issue. I ordered hairgrass thinking it would be short to make a carpet. Now I am stuck with very tall hairgrass. I don't know what to do. If I trim the hairgrass and plant it will it grow roots?

Joshuaharestad

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
TheFishmonger said:
Hello, I have an issue. I ordered hairgrass thinking it would be short to make a carpet. Now I am stuck with very tall hairgrass. I don't know what to do. If I trim the hairgrass and plant it will it grow roots?
I'd bet it would grow roots.

Jimmie93

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The roots should fine if you trim the top of the plants.

TheFishmonger

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Joshuaharestad said:
I'd bet it would grow roots.
I am hoping that the replanted top would grow roots. Any other uses for tall hairgrass except for background curtain?

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
TheFishmonger said:
I am hoping that the replanted top would grow roots. Any other uses for tall hairgrass except for background curtain?
Yeah....I don't think it would. It's not a stem plant. But it's normal to trim hairgrass. The cut part will float and you remove it. If I'm right, trimming it encourages it to spread out (carpet), but I'd give it a chance to transition to your tank, maybe a couple days at least.

-Mak-

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
You may just have to buy some dwarf hair grass. Tall hair grass does look nice as a background plant though.

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
trim grow trim grow repeat

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom