Tall, Easy Plants?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by sassymomma, Apr 13, 2018.

1. sassymomma

sassymomma Well Known Member Member

I had Cabomba...for about 2 weeks. It took off, then died over about 3 days and now my tank is littered with needles and I'm going to do a series of vacs to clean it up following my last water change.

I wonder if there's something easy that I could replace it with. I have a brown thumb..I'm not good with plants, yet I keep trying. So far I'm able to keep crypts(sort of, they don't exactly thrive) and anubis in my tank. And I've had a Lucky bamboo submerged for about 6 months. I have a java fern that comes and goes, but doesn't die off.

It's a 36 bowfront with a T8 plant spectrum strip, which is on for 8-10 hours a day. Pool filter sand, Flourish tabs. No liquid ferts.

Params. 0/0/20 Temp:79

Filtration: two 50g HOB filters and a sponge at the bottom. And understocked with only bottom feeders right now, no schooling fish to speak of.

I want something to go in the pots where the cabomba can be seen sitting...I thought I'd fill them with gravel and add the flourish tabs. I can use bigger pots, I just like the symmetry

Attached Files:

2. 75g Discus Tank

75g Discus Tank Fishlore VIP Member

Anacharis is really easy to grow IME.

Hygrophila is pretty easy for me.

3. WTFish?

WTFish? Well Known Member Member

Water sprite is easy, pretty and gets tall. I love mine.

4. SegiDream

SegiDream Well Known Member Member

I'd recommend seachem flourish liquid and I'd also recommend checking/researching the PAR on the light if you can. I like rotala rotundifolia and ludwigia repens. Jungle val (can get 6ft long), corkscrew val, dwarf hairgrass, ludwigia arcuata ...

Edited to add: The lucky bamboo probably won't survive long term fully submerged the way it is...

5. OP
    OP
    sassymomma

I don’t know what PAR is...Does this pic help? Image1523757959.918026.jpg

It helps me a bit.....tells me I’m due to replace the bulb lol. I got that last winter

Jungle Val’s melted too, last two times I tried them.... but I put them in the sand. I don’t know if they would do any better in gravel? I actually love them, if I could get them to grow, and thought they would be perfect for what I want to do with the tank

6. SegiDream

SegiDream Well Known Member Member

I only use LED bulbs you can buy at almost any store that stocks bulbs, therefore no experience with T type bulbs. PAR is basically the measurement of how much light reaches a certain distance away from the bulb. In order to find out the PAR on a particular bulb either the manufacturer listed it, or you need a meter to measure it, or find others online who have figured it out. I think for low light plants they need at least 30-40 par at the substrate. I found a couple charts that indicated this type of bulb will be either at the very minimum or too little PAR for the plants. This chart might help however I do not know how accurate it really is.

LightIntensityTable.jpg

Edited to add: I've only ever grown jungle val in pea size gravel substrate, have not tried sand. I imagine a fine grain sand could compact and essentially strangle the roots.

7. OP
    OP
    sassymomma

That makes sense, both times I did Val’s they started strong and died from the roots. I think I’ll try Val’s again but in gravel in the pits instead

8. OP
    OP
    sassymomma

So I was over at petsmart with the dog, and got talking with the lady there. She told me that zoomed is a reptile brand and that’s probably why my plants keep dying- the light isn’t designed to filter through water.

She suggested this one: Image1523838555.015400.jpg Image1523838581.344438.jpg
    I could tell the difference as soon as I put it on- the other light ran yellow, this one’s more blue-purple

It’s softer, but feels brighter at the same time Image1523838756.344760.jpg

Here’s the old light IMG_2209.JPG

I also got two each per pot:jungle Val and corkscrew Val, as well as a pair of Java fern and some gravel to plant in. I put the extra gravel on top of the sand and it’ll mix in as I do cleanings later for a sandstrate

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice