Tall, Easy Plants?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sassymomma

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I had Cabomba...for about 2 weeks. It took off, then died over about 3 days and now my tank is littered with needles and I'm going to do a series of vacs to clean it up following my last water change.

I wonder if there's something easy that I could replace it with. I have a brown thumb..I'm not good with plants, yet I keep trying. So far I'm able to keep crypts(sort of, they don't exactly thrive) and anubis in my tank. And I've had a Lucky bamboo submerged for about 6 months. I have a java fern that comes and goes, but doesn't die off.

It's a 36 bowfront with a T8 plant spectrum strip, which is on for 8-10 hours a day. Pool filter sand, Flourish tabs. No liquid ferts.

Params. 0/0/20 Temp:79

Filtration: two 50g HOB filters and a sponge at the bottom. And understocked with only bottom feeders right now, no schooling fish to speak of.

I want something to go in the pots where the cabomba can be seen sitting...I thought I'd fill them with gravel and add the flourish tabs. I can use bigger pots, I just like the symmetry

Attachments

SegiDream

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I'd recommend seachem flourish liquid and I'd also recommend checking/researching the PAR on the light if you can. I like rotala rotundifolia and ludwigia repens. Jungle val (can get 6ft long), corkscrew val, dwarf hairgrass, ludwigia arcuata ...

Edited to add: The lucky bamboo probably won't survive long term fully submerged the way it is...

sassymomma

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I don’t know what PAR is...Does this pic help?
Image1523757959.918026.jpg

It helps me a bit.....tells me I’m due to replace the bulb lol. I got that last winter

Jungle Val’s melted too, last two times I tried them.... but I put them in the sand. I don’t know if they would do any better in gravel? I actually love them, if I could get them to grow, and thought they would be perfect for what I want to do with the tank

SegiDream

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I only use LED bulbs you can buy at almost any store that stocks bulbs, therefore no experience with T type bulbs. PAR is basically the measurement of how much light reaches a certain distance away from the bulb. In order to find out the PAR on a particular bulb either the manufacturer listed it, or you need a meter to measure it, or find others online who have figured it out. I think for low light plants they need at least 30-40 par at the substrate. I found a couple charts that indicated this type of bulb will be either at the very minimum or too little PAR for the plants. This chart might help however I do not know how accurate it really is.

LightIntensityTable.jpg

Edited to add: I've only ever grown jungle val in pea size gravel substrate, have not tried sand. I imagine a fine grain sand could compact and essentially strangle the roots.

sassymomma

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
That makes sense, both times I did Val’s they started strong and died from the roots. I think I’ll try Val’s again but in gravel in the pits instead

sassymomma

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
So I was over at petsmart with the dog, and got talking with the lady there. She told me that zoomed is a reptile brand and that’s probably why my plants keep dying- the light isn’t designed to filter through water.

She suggested this one:
Image1523838555.015400.jpg
Image1523838581.344438.jpg

I could tell the difference as soon as I put it on- the other light ran yellow, this one’s more blue-purple

It’s softer, but feels brighter at the same time
Image1523838756.344760.jpg

Here’s the old light
IMG_2209.JPG

I also got two each per pot:jungle Val and corkscrew Val, as well as a pair of Java fern and some gravel to plant in. I put the extra gravel on top of the sand and it’ll mix in as I do cleanings later for a sandstrate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom