Tall (40") Aquarium Lighting Suggestions

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by MountainMan, Dec 1, 2018.

1. MountainMan

MountainManNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +19
    Experience:
    Just started
    Hey everyone,

Fairly new to the hobby here, and I'm in need of some advice. I would like some adequate lighting for the 90g tall community Discus tank (artificially planted) l built. My DIY LED lights are just not putting out enough light to illuminate the lower half of the tank.

Dimensions are 36"W x 42"T x 18"D.

I tried a general search under this forum and came up empty handed. My initial internet search led me to wonder if the Fluval Prism 2.0 Underwater Spotlight might do the trick (maybe 4, one in each corner?), but appreciate any experienced input on this matter.

I'd like to keep my budget under $200. Thanks!

2. Collin Chorba

Collin ChorbaValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +61
    Experience:
    1 year
    Lighting is measured in kelvins, my 60 gallon tall black water tank has similar dimensions (20in tall) and all I have is a cheap t8 shop light, considering my tank has tainted water the light is still enough, but for yourself I would think something on the higher end of the led spectrum would be good, try something in the range of 7-10 thousand kelvins, higher would be better

3. OP
    OP
    MountainMan

MountainManNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +19
    Experience:
    Just started
    Yes, I'm seeing this color temperature rating the more I am looking into this. Do lumens have a role to factor into the equation as well? I'm familiar with headlamps in backpacking where lumens is the brightness that penetrates the darkness of an environment. It seems that the color temperature is in relation to the contrast (warm white vs cool white appearance). So does the color temperature/Kelvin rating have a role in illuminating the depth of my tank?

I'm looking at the Fluval Plant Spectrum 3.0 vs the Fluval Aquasky. The Plant Spectrum model had twice the lumens, but the Aquasky model has a significantly higher color temperature range. Some insight, experience, or clarification would be much appreciated!

4. Collin Chorba

Collin ChorbaValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +61
    Experience:
    1 year
    I’m sorry but I’m not quite sure about that, I do know that the higher kelvin which is (what I believe lighting is measured in) the more blue and some other color that are in the light, that’s why when you look at most saltwater reef tanks the water looks kinda blue and really clean is because of using a very strong lighting, just like when using a lot of standard lighting it gives the water a bit of a yellow tint, I also know from experience that if you want to illuminate more light at the bottom and make the water have a crystal clear appearance you could try using white substrate, but for you it might not work so I would recommend upgrading the lighting still