Tall 28 gallon stocking ideas

1. W

Willdog2323 New Member Member

Hi guys I am new to Fishlore and I have a question on what to stock my 28 gallon tall bow front with. It is 24 inches long the depth is 15 inches and it is 18 inches tall. I've had some expirence in saltwater (which is what my tank previously was I wanted to switch because saltwater is very expensive and I was limited by the size) I was wondering if any of you guys had any ideas. I would love to do a biotope if possible but I am open to anything and any help is appreciated

2. FallenOwl

FallenOwl Well Known Member Member

Welcome
    Do you have any fish that you like? Do you want schooling fish? Platys, Dwarf gourami, Guppy's (and more) would work. It just depends on what your looking for

3. OP
    OP
    W

I really like corys and dwarf cichlids other than that I don't have any others that I really like (but my research has been limited)

4. FallenOwl

Maybe some Shellie's?
    dwarf gouramis?
    Schooling fish?

5. OP
    OP
    W

Pardon me for my lack of knowledge but what are Shellies I can't seem to find it online

6. FallenOwl

7. DanB80TTS

DanB80TTS Well Known Member Member

A pair of rams, a school of 8-10 fish and a BN plec perhaps.

8. OP
    OP
    W

Thanks and I was also wondering if plants are easy to do as a beginner

9. FallenOwl

10. OP
    OP
    W

Do you think a group of khuli loaches a group of corys and a dwarf gourami would work

11. DanB80TTS

DanB80TTS Well Known Member Member

It might not make for a very entertaining tank, would look very empty. The cories would stay around the bottom, the khuli's you may never see and the gourami stays kind of in the upper section, it would look kind of empty.

Instead of the khuli's do a school of fish like 10 rasboras or tetra of some kind to occupy the middle of the tank..

12. JeffK

JeffK Well Known Member Member

Since both khulis and cories are mainly bottom dwellers, I think that you should choose khulis OR cories for the bottom level, a nice group of 1-2" the schooling fish of your choice for the upper levels, and the dwarf gourami.

13. OP
    OP
    W

Do you think very barbs are good I heard that they sometimes are fun nippers do you think they would bother the gourami

14. JeffK

JeffK Well Known Member Member

I think cherry barbs and gold barbs are probably the safest of the barbs. I'd suggest going with harlequin rasboras - they're pretty, peaceful fish that school nicely!