Talking To Non Fish People....

Debbie1986

Valued Member
Reaction score
Talking to 'norms' ( normals) is hard now. They just don't get it.

I was totally excited to show off my 4 silver dollar fish to my brother & his kids. Barely a reaction vegan piranhas that go crazy for veggies!!! what is not to love!

Oh well. On a side note, the co-worker whom I gave him a fish & supplies for his son (now named Electric) is doing very well 3 months on. One fish convert at a time I guess...

Salem

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Omg I feel you on that. I got my 20 long tank at a second hand store (for only 10 dollars!!) and when asked I said it was for my betta- you should have seen the lady's face! She was so baffled why I would get "such a big tank" for "just a betta". Queue me suddenly explaining bettas come from miles and miles of rice paddies. Plus all the reactions I get when I show the tank to family and friends that come over

Cognac82

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I feel the same way! I always want to talk about my fish and then people are like, "How many tanks do you have????" Awkward stare, judging silence. "Oh, wow, that's a lot of fish tanks. Is there room for anything else in your house?" Room for a few more tanks!!!

Debbie1986

Valued Member
Reaction score
Cognac82 said:
I feel the same way! I always want to talk about my fish and then people are like, "How many tanks do you have????" Awkward stare, judging silence. "Oh, wow, that's a lot of fish tanks. Is there room for anything else in your house?" Room for a few more tanks!!!
LOL.. that happened today. Told someone I had 18 Bettas, 4 SDF, community tank, + catfish.. they were like.. how do you fit them all?

17 tanks... lol. I've stopped, promise. I just need a bigger house now.....

Cognac82

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Debbie1986 said:
LOL.. that happened today. Told someone I had 18 Bettas, 4 SDF, community tank, + catfish.. they were like.. how do you fit them all?

17 tanks... lol. I've stopped, promise. I just need a bigger house now.....
How long does it take you to do water changes on everything? It takes me between 2-3 hours and that's not even with doing filter maintenance or scrubbing glass or anything. That's just siphoning water and vacuuming gravel/sand.

Debbie1986

Valued Member
Reaction score
My 2 large tanks 36 bow front & 38 rectangular - I check on every 2 -3 days. if needed 10% water change. It took me a while to get them stable. Weekly cleaning, but touch ups during week as needed. My fault as a newbie because I was overfeeding. They just had a 50% water change on 8/28/19 as well ( 2+ hours) . Silver dollars & catfish get veggies, so I have to make sure the food isn't stuck rotting in filter and bioload is okay. Feather-fin Catfish has nearly doubled in size since last picture I took. Silver dollars are nearly 3 inches tall, had been size of skirt tetra 3 months ago. I change & feed SDF with no tank light as they freak out. i do flip light on briefly, but have to turn off as they like to jump when startled.

I'm sure it can be easier. i just have a learning curve as I'm new.

Bettas - once a week unless the tank looks off. Water changes last night took 3.5 hours. I had tv on in background. I purposely got the fish so I'd have something to fuss over. I just kept falling in love at pet store.

Cognac82

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Debbie1986 said:
My 2 large tanks 36 bow front & 38 rectangular - I check on every 2 -3 days. if needed 10% water change. It took me a while to get them stable. Weekly cleaning, but touch ups during week as needed. My fault as a newbie because I was overfeeding. They just had a 50% water change on 8/28/19 as well ( 2+ hours) . Silver dollars & catfish get veggies, so I have to make sure the food isn't stuck rotting in filter and bioload is okay. Feather-fin Catfish has nearly doubled in size since last picture I took. Silver dollars are nearly 3 inches tall, had been size of skirt tetra 3 months ago. I change & feed SDF with no tank light as they freak out. i do flip light on briefly, but have to turn off as they like to jump when startled.

I'm sure it can be easier. i just have a learning curve as I'm new.

Bettas - once a week unless the tank looks off. Water changes last night took 3.5 hours. I had tv on in background. I purposely got the fish so I'd have something to fuss over. I just kept falling in love at pet store.
I'm heading out today to get a female pearl gourami for my male. Hopefully I don't see any other fish I "need" while I am there.
And yesterday I was talking to my coworker's boyfriend and he asked me if I took advantage of the dpg sale and I told him no and to stop enabling me because I don't need any more fish tanks.
Him: That's too bad because I have a 300 gallon tank and a couple 40 gallon breeders that you can probably have.
Me: Tell me more.

Brenden

Valued Member
Reaction score
Yeah my family doesn't really get it. My father kept fish as a kid, and grew up on a bay catching them, so he takes a little bit of interest and is the only person besides my friends in the hobby that I talk to about it.

My younger brother doesn't care much about fish, but he was absolutely fascinated by snails. He saw my Mystery Snail I recently got, and his 12 year old eyes lit up.

"Where's it's mouth?"
"How does it move"
"It doesn't look like a snail"
"WOAH IT HAS EYES?"
"Look Brenden it's moving!"

That actually warmed my heart a bit to see him genuinely as excited as I get. As an adult, life is mostly working and mundane, so to me, fishkeeping is my relaxation and peace. So if I can pass that gift on to other people it's great.

pagoda

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Alot of people do not see a fish...regardless of genre/species etc.....as an animal that is a pet

You say fish to some people and they look at you weirdly and the next thing out of their mouth is..."fish? I only eat them...whats the point of keeping them?" or they call the fish "it" as if the fish have no emotions, feelings, purpose etc

It isn't until you have your first fish....mine was a carnival goldie over 40 years ago...that those little eyes touch your heart and you are so completely taken in by the little bugger that you end up having a love affair for life, cry everytime you see Nemo and just go all gooey eyed and weak kneed whenever you pass a pet store with fish looking at you, parping at you and screaming "BUY ME!!!"

A fish is for life...not just to be eaten with chips and mushy peas...

Quiche

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Screenshot_20190521-204148~2.png

^ I saw this floating around on the internet and had a chuckle... I'm sure every fishkeeper with a big tank has googled this to make sure their floor won't cave in

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom