Talking Endlers With A Friend Who Worked With John Endler

endlercollector

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
We had dinner today with our friend the evolutionary biologist who gave me a collection of comma bars years ago, and he laughed when I told him how much the more unusual Endler color morphs are going for these days. He did his postdoc research back in 1978 in Venezuela with John Endler and remembers collecting the fish from Lago de los Patos. In fact, he told me that he was visiting Endler a few months ago, and they were talking about how he'd had no idea that these little fish would wind up carrying his name and becoming so popular out of the many different fish he collected over the years.

As for the different 24 or so color morphs that I'd read that Voisin had collected, our friend shrugged and said that meant he probably picked up 28 fish. There are lots of patterns, but they only become nameable when someone selects certain ones and breeds them.

As for my Staecks, he thinks they have some guppy in them, despite what other people have said about them being kept pure. His take on it is that there are guppies in the waters around Lago de los Patos and that they may also be mixing with Endlers in the area. So then the Staecks would have had guppy in them even when they were collected. He did say that my Staecks could be examined to see if they had guppy in them, but he didn't suggest a particular person who might be interested in running the test. It's not as easy as getting a doggy DNA test on Amazon :0

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I believe the red picta was also collected from that region also . So that adds the possibility of them being in the line when wild also .Not sure if they can cross breed now but in nature weirder things have happened . It is nice to know people whose info you know is more then solid !
This from my red picta thread ;
So in my communication with a breeder buddy in Florida who just got some of these from me I have been told completely different water info !
I trust this source as his history in fish is decades old and his proof[ pictures of this fish he had ] were beyond compare .I asked for any info on these fish he had ,and this was his response;
"The original ones were captured in laguna de Patos in Venezuela ,
You responded on that thread .

Lacey D

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yes, most of the sources I've read suggest that the endler are now completely "extinct" in the wild due to interbreeding with wild guppies. It seems that what kept them pure was the brackish nature of the estuary system, and as development and increased freshwater runoff occurred, that protection may have been stripped. (Of course, that is if you subscribe to the endler and other guppies being genetically distinct enough to be considered separate species...) Still...to have a chat with Endler! How amazing <3

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom